Friday, January 04, 2013

Who Can Bring Him to See What Will be After Him?

I think I always have the same questions for God. Each day, there they are...same as the day before. He knows my heart! He wired me the way I am. He can tell me the exact number of hairs on my head. Yet, in my heart, there is silence in response to my queries. I am impatient, like Sarah of the bible, and I try to "fix" things (which, of course, only makes it worse)! Then, inevitably, I whine and complain about the disaster I created and beg God to right my wrongs!

While on a break from writing this, I heard the line by T.S. Eliot,
I will show you fear in a handful of dust,
which brought me to Ecclesiastes 3:17-22.

I said in my heart, God will judge the righteous and the wicked, for there is a time for every matter and for every work. I said in my heart with regard to the children of man that God is testing them that they may see that they themselves are but beasts. For what happens to the children of man and what happens to the beasts is the same; as one dies, so dies the other. They all have the same breath, and man has no advantage over the beasts, for all is vanity. All go to one place. All are from the dust, and to dust all return. Who knows whether the spirit of man goes upward and the spirit of the beast goes down into the earth? So I saw that there is nothing better than that a man should rejoice in his work, for that is his lot. Who can bring him to see what will be after him? (ESV)

I NEED to rejoice in my work...whatever it is the Lord gives me. Currently, it is not in writing, dance, or any other field in which He has given me a degree of talent (which may or may not have monetary value and help provide for my family). Rather, it is in raising my children, who are so, very dear to me, and managing our home! Truly, I am blessed! So then why would I ever feel any measure of discontentment?! I must do what I tell my kiddos...be grateful for all that I have, for what the Good Lord had given me, his servant...dust.

He will render to each one according to his works: to those who by patience in well-doing seek for glory and honor and immortality, he will give eternal life; but for those who are self-seeking and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, there will be wrath and fury. There will be tribulation and distress for every human being who does evil, the Jew first and also the Greek, but glory and honor and peace for everyone who does good, the Jew first and also the Greek. For God shows no partiality. (Romans 2:6-11 ESV)

(Photo Information.)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails