Thursday, February 21, 2013

Being the Fool

As I sit here meditating on what I just read over at "I'd Laugh...But All This Happened to Me" blog, I feel relief, almost, that I am not the only one who has been deemed "foolish" because of my love for Christ!

I've been labeled "extreme" for reading my bible everyday. I've had hateful words (and threats) spoken toward me because of my beliefs, been called an ugly name for raising my children according to scripture, and laughed at (mocked and teased) because I do not wear a skimpy, "barely there" bikini swimsuit and because I have faith God exists. Oh yeah and someone once asked me (regarding God and the bible), "Why do you teach [your children] that crap?"

Why have certain individuals treated me this way? Because I love Jesus! What is so wrong with that?! I cannot even begin to wrap my head around it.

We are fools for Christ's sake, but you are wise in Christ. We are weak, but you are strong. You are held in honor, but we in disrepute. (1 Corinthians 4:10 ESV)

For the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. (1 Corinthians 1:18 ESV)

For we are glad when we are weak and you are strong. Your restoration is what we pray for. (2 Corinthians 13:9 ESV)

Birds of a Feather Flock Together?

Do not be deceived: "Bad company ruins good morals." Wake up from your drunken stupor, as is right, and do not go on sinning. For some have no knowledge of God. I say this to your shame. (1 Corinthians 15:33, 34 ESV)

This past weekend I was asked to attend a camping trip with the understanding it was going to be "family friendly". (I brought my young ones and invited a friend of mine and her family.) As things unfolded I realized that was not actually the case. The occurrences ranged from minors drinking alcohol to conversations "R" and "NC-17" in nature, to videos on a television (in the common area of camp) featuring topless women. I was thankful to have my friend there because
Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their toil. For if they fall, one will lift up his fellow. But woe to him who is alone when he falls and has not another to lift him up! Again, if two lie together, they keep warm, but how can one keep warm alone? And though a man might prevail against one who is alone, two will withstand him—a threefold cord is not quickly broken. (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12 ESV)
But I was also so embarrassed. This is a newer relationship and I did not want to give her and her family the impression I participate in such things! When the inappropriate behavior started, I took the children into the RV (recreational vehicle) for some family fun and my friend joined us. "Don't be embarrassed," she said. "We can only separate ourselves from the situation...which is what we did.". I will certainly think twice before accepting another invitation from this particular group.
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails