Tuesday, March 12, 2013

How to Live Forever

I don't know about you, but I evaluate and re-evaluate things from time to time, including my day to day, and how to best use the time I have in this vapor (James 4:14) of a life. God's word tells how to have eternal life through Christ Jesus. The prideful sin in me also entertains the thought of immortality in the world. How can one live forever?

...I bow my knees before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth is named, that according to the riches of his glory he may grant you to be strengthened with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith—that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may have strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God. (Ephesians 3:14-19 ESV)

Family, to me, is very important. When I was young I did not quite grasp it but as I get older I see the true value of family. So, what will be my legacy? What whispers will continue to ripple on this earth when I am gone? What imprint will I leave as my "ghost" in this world? Where should my focus be, after God and Christ Jesus? Does my "everyday" line up with my goals?

It is SO easy for me to lose sight of what is truly important and become ensnared by my pride. When I sat down and asked myself, "What is paramount (aside from God)?" My answer came rather quickly as a warm wave that washed over me. And I knew in my heart it was right, for me! My children. I will hand down all that I have, all that I am, and all that I believe to them. "Proof of my existence," (as my dad calls me and my sibling).

Much of my day is spent teaching them...MOST of what they know, not EVERYTHING. (They have picked up things here and there from peers, movies, television, AWANA leaders, etc.) They do bible study (four out of seven days a week) in the morning. Under the guidance of accredited charter schools and certified teachers, I instruct my kiddos in math, grammar, vocabulary, spelling, writing composition, cursive writing, literature, history, and science. In the evenings I train in Martial Arts and have decided to learn the business so I can open my own location when we move and then it will (hopefully) be there for my children. We attend church and they catch AWANA once a week. This is where I am called, where I rejoice, where I am to be "all there".

Therefore, as you received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in him, rooted and built up in him and established in the faith, just as you were taught, abounding in thanksgiving. See to it that no one takes you captive by philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits of the world, and not according to Christ. For in him the whole fullness of deity dwells bodily, and you have been filled in him, who is the head of all rule and authority. In him also you were circumcised with a circumcision made without hands, by putting off the body of the flesh, by the circumcision of Christ, having been buried with him in baptism, in which you were also raised with him through faith in the powerful working of God, who raised him from the dead. And you, who were dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made alive together with him, having forgiven us all our trespasses, by canceling the record of debt that stood against us with its legal demands. This he set aside, nailing it to the cross. He disarmed the rulers and authorities and put them to open shame, by triumphing over them in him. (Colossians 2:6-15 ESV)

"...as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." (Joshua 24:15 ESV)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails