Thursday, April 04, 2013

Our Hearts Are Restless Till They Rest in Thee

"For Thou has made us for thyself and our hearts are restless till they rest in Thee." - Augustine

Augustine's mother, Monica, prayed fervently for her children (ESPECIALLY Augustine)! And, though I have a wayward child or two and SHOULD be praying as heartfelt and desperate as she did...I feel I do not hold a candle to this woman! Being interested in learning more about her, I visited the Wikipedia site which says the following:

[Monica] was married early in life to Patritius (or Patricius), who held an official position in Tagaste (present-day Souk Ahras, Algeria). Patritius was a pagan, though like so many at that period, his religion was no more than a name; his temper was violent and he appears to have been of dissolute habits. Consequently Monica's married life was far from being a happy one, more especially as Patritius's mother seems to have been of a like disposition with himself. There was, of course, a gulf between husband and wife; her alms deeds and her habits of prayer annoyed him, but it is said that he always held her in a sort of reverence. Monica was not the only matron of Tagaste whose married life was unhappy, but, by her sweetness and patience, she was able to exercise a good example amongst the wives and mothers of her native town; they knew that she suffered as they did, and her words and example had a proportionate effect.

Augustine wrote of her unrelenting prayers, for his soul, in his autobiography.

I cannot help but feel such awe regarding this mother and her son. She cried, begged, and pleaded for his salvation! Further, God not only saved this man, He called Augustine to great things to glorify Him! There are many articles by Augustine on the Monergism website which I, of course, highly recommend you check out!

Sometimes I "people watch" as I sit at the park waiting for my kiddos while they play. I will see various individuals of all different shapes, sizes, and ethnicity. I observe the mothers as they relate to their children. I muse to myself, "Is that what I look like?" How do my kids perceive me?

I have to be honest, going through the teenage years with our older ones really burnt me out! I am thankful for these years of being able to catch my breath before the young ones reach that stage. I enjoy watching them run, jump, and frolic...just as I took joy in watching our now adult children when they were this age. I replay years gone by and wonder what I could have done differently. Did I make the right decisions? Did I teach/ am I instructing them enough about God and His precious Son? When will God call each one's heart? Will He save them? Are their names written in the Book of Life? Was/am I too strict or not stern enough? No matter what I should definitely pray much more!
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails