Monday, June 03, 2013

God, I Need You Now

Standing on a road I didn't plan
Wondering how I got to where I am
I'm trying to hear that still small voice
I'm trying to hear above the noise

How many times have you heard me cry out
"God please take this"?
How many times have you given me strength to
Just keep breathing?
Oh I need you
God, I need you now.
(Plumb. "How Many Times (Need You Now)".)

Do you ever feel this way...that no matter how hard you pray, "God, please take this," He allows it to remain, yet grants strength to continue taking one day at a time...confessing to Him, "God I need you now!"? Though, I have to be honest...sometimes His grace does not feel sufficient. (Lord, please forgive me for saying such a thing!)

What must have Job felt as he went through those moments following losing his children, livestock, everything? What about Sampson, when he discovered he had been betrayed by Delilah? Or David, knowing Saul wanted to kill him? I imagine each of them must have been heartbroken.

Sarah was barren and desired children. Did she cry some nights in the arms of her husband, or alone? Did she call out to God and beg Him to grant her a baby? Jesus DEFINITELY requested His cup be taken from Him (if it was God's will, not His own). Abel was hated by his own brother (talk about a dysfunctional family). Abigail was married to a "badly behaved" man. The bible is chock full of sorrowful human beings. (Jesus was so distraught in His "time of need", He sweat drops of blood.) Are we any different, today?

All this to say, God is the Father and King of the "crushed in spirit".
The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit. (Psalm 34:18 ESV)

To anyone in doubt, I say,
The eyes of the Lord are toward the righteous
and his ears toward their cry.
The face of the Lord is against those who do evil,
to cut off the memory of them from the earth.
When the righteous cry for help, the Lord hears
and delivers them out of all their troubles.
The Lord is near to the brokenhearted
and saves the crushed in spirit.

Many are the afflictions of the righteous,
but the Lord delivers him out of them all.
He keeps all his bones;
not one of them is broken.
Affliction will slay the wicked,
and those who hate the righteous will be condemned.
The Lord redeems the life of his servants;
none of those who take refuge in him will be condemned.
(Psalm 34:15-22 ESV)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails