Wednesday, June 05, 2013

God of the Unforgiven

I sin.  I hurt those around me at times.  God knows my heart, whether it is intentional or not...but the bottom line is, I have and I do.  Further, there are occasions when I just CANNOT forgive myself!  Even after many years.

Notice I called this, "The Unforgiven," not "The Unforgivable."  EVERY sin (but one) is forgivable (especially by God).  So, why is it so hard for me to give myself a break, sometimes?  Why can't I just let it go?  I beg for forgiveness from who or what I injured and from God, Himself.  And, of course, He grants Me His grace!  So, why can't I shake the feeling of blame and regret.  At times it brings tears to my eyes.

The Lord is merciful and gracious,
slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love....

He does not deal with us according to our sins,
nor repay us according to our iniquities.

For as high as the heavens are above the earth,
so great is his steadfast love toward those who fear him;

as far as the east is from the west,
so far does he remove our transgressions from us.

As a father shows compassion to his children,
so the Lord shows compassion to those who fear him. (Psalm 103:8, 10-13 ESV)

There are two main ways I think about God: 1) God the Father and 2. God my King.  This helps me grasp His character...the very one that is demonstrated in both the Old and New Testament.  To me, He is never changing yesterday, today, and forever.  He is the same God in the Old and of New Testament time (in which we are still).  Reading the Old Testament assists me in remembering my King's reign, His laws, and the "no tolerance policy" of the old covenant.  The New Testament echoes His unwavering grace through His Son, Christ Jesus, and lets me know I may approach His throne any moment of any day because when I stand before Him, I believe He sees His Son, instead of me.  And, that makes me smile...to be loved as by a father and to be protected and cared for as by a King.
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails