Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Making the Best Use of the Time

The engines roar and the vessel rumbles as it makes its way down the runway and is propelled off the ground. I watch the land seemingly float away as the tires leave the surface and retreat into their bays. The angle of the plane makes carry on items shimmy from their storage space. Items threaten to break free and glide over the blue officesque carpet. The faux leather seats vibrate and then there is a drastic dip to the left revealing the ant like civilization below. I have visions of the 1970's/1980's starship "Enterprise" crew leaning in their seats as their ship lists after being hit.

Though we are hardly Star Fleet on a mission to explore bold new worlds, we are in fact on our way back home from quite an adventure in the Northeastern United States. Five stops over the course of five states, in fourteen days.

Crisp soda (water, juice, or alcoholic beverages), salty sweet honey roasted peanuts, and zesty veggie crackers or semisweet cookies are the only in flight food/drinks served this stretch. Gone are the days of leafy greens, half hearted deli sandwiches, or hot t.v. dinners with red potatoes.

Being we checked in late, our seats are scattered about three different rows. At least the young ones are old enough now I do not worry much (as long as they are not too far away from me). The independence gives them a streak of confidence and feeling of maturity. The tired infant in front of me fusses, the mortified young girl two seats over cries silently, and the puppy under the seat next to me whines deeply in staccato breaths.

I reach over to my phone, which is hugging the upper part of my arm in an exercise band, and flick on my music. I drown in its waves over the next three hours or so of the five hour flight. Choreography leaps with each note, every beat, in counts of eight. I see the mouths of those around me moving...but hear only the soul of each singer/band...breathlessly going on about being young, giving advice, proclaiming heartache, boasting of a love of rock and roll, etc.

Today will melt away into tomorrow and the rejoining of life as it exists in our everyday. Vacation is over. Carry on.

Walk in wisdom toward outsiders, making the best use of the time. Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person. (Colossians 4:5, 6 ESV)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails