Sunday, July 14, 2013

Making the Best Use of the Time

Called as a witness in a case (years ago), I sat in the courtroom listening as a mentally disturbed woman recounted her side of a story for two hours. I did read scripture during this time so I suppose it was not a complete loss but I recall leaving the premises saying, "Well, that's two hours of my life I am never getting back."

It was, for the most part, a waste. I much prefer being with my children than attending a meeting, sitting in an office, or having to withstand the ramblings of a delusional individual whose own witnesses blew holes in every bit of her testimony. Perhaps this sounds harsh but it is this event about which I thought today, and came to the conclusion that being I believe God is a part of everything, everyday, an eternity (and the soul) is important, I will no longer waste time on trivial worldly things that are wasting away (1 John 2:17).

...there is nothing new under the sun. (Ecclesiasties 1:9. ESV)

As I continue to inch my way closer to enrolling at a college (and fall semester starting), I have to remain mindful of my current schedule and what I can and cannot add to it. For example, warming a seat in the classroom is not an option, so it is online courses all the way. Further, I cannot afford to lose credits in a transfer. I was going to go the community college route but being my next step will be a four year university in another state, chances are some credits will not move with me. Hence, the decision to pick one school and stick with it.

In a way, I feel like a Freshman again! Well, I am, but I am also renewed, like someone getting a second chance...and I surely aim to make it count! And, now that I am going back to do it all again, I would tell my children (regarding life) to, "Really think things through the first time around. Do not follow your heart (because it can be utterly deceitful)! Do the research, don't rush anything, be in God's word everyday, and pray for wisdom!"

The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately sick; who can understand it? (Jeremiah 17:9 ESV)

Not I! But, I can seek God for truth, strength, endurance, and perseverance. He will take care of me no matter what...where I live, who I know (or don't), what car I drive, how much money I have in the bank, etc. I am only called to have faith...He takes care of the rest!

Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of the time, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is. And do not get drunk with wine, for that is debauchery, but be filled with the Spirit, addressing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody to the Lord with your heart, giving thanks always and for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, submitting to one another out of reverence for Christ. (Ephesians 5:15-21 ESV)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails