Thursday, July 25, 2013

Spiders, and Lizards, and Snakes...Oh My!

This week began with a trip to the doctor's office. Innocent enough, as it was to treat "swimmer's ear", but ended in vaccinations, which are NEVER enjoyable in and of themselves.

A pharmacy visit and one conference call later landed us at a softball game (which, little did I know was going to be my first, EVER played)! No hits, and no runs for me...but that is okay. I went out swinging (except for the very last one). Afterward, it was a movie with friends at the drive-in! ($7 for adults and $1 for children under 12! And, you can bring your own popcorn and drinks!)

A late night, Monday, rolled into an up at 8:30 morning (I accidentally overslept!), Tuesday, meeting up with a great group at the "Serpentarium" to check out their insects, spiders, a frog...yep, just one, lizards, and snakes. Our guided tour was informative and interactive! It started with a hissing cockroach and ended with a pretty meaty boa constrictor.

This scorpion glows in black light.


This one was my favorite, which I'm sure is no surprise to those who know me best.



This is an Egyptian lizard.

Its tail sort of reminded me of that of an alligator.



The fantastic thing about animals (which always cracks me up when they appear on a certain late night talk show) is how unpredictable they are when in the spotlight. The handler might say, "Oh don't worry, that one never..." and then, it does! But, no one in our group was urinated on, defecated on, scratched, chased, or bit...so, it was a good day! And, the hissing cockroach survived us!

Praise the Lord from the earth,
you great sea creatures and all deeps,
8 fire and hail, snow and mist,
stormy wind fulfilling his word!
9 Mountains and all hills,
fruit trees and all cedars!
10 Beasts and all livestock,
creeping things and flying birds!
(Psalm 148:7-10. ESV.)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails