Sunday, November 17, 2013

Declare Me Innocent From Hidden Faults

To donate or not to donate? That was the question.

What is the biblical standing, if any? I'm not sure the bible addresses this directly. There are so many beautiful children, little lambs of God, who need loving, forever homes. But, I also know there are women who strongly desire children, yet are infertile. There are adoptive parents, foster parents, surrogate mothers, those who donate, etc.

Back when I was in college (the first time), I considered donating an egg cell or few. Presently, being in Human Biology and having studied "survival of the fittest" and "natural selection" a tad, I have been thinking, once again, about giving reproductive cells. However, no matter what I do in life, I want it to glorify God! Would this? Or would it be considered "wrong" or "unbiblical"?

Perhaps it is the pride in me that says, "I am in excellent physical and mental health. I carry roughly a "B" average (it's not Mensa, Ivy League, or anything but hey, it's not bad). I am athletic and agile. I pick up things pretty quickly. I feel God has blessed me abundantly. All good attributes to pass along.

The bottom line here, though, is the end result will be a human being. An offspring who will not know me and I will not know him/her. Yet, we will coexist and twenty-four of his/her chromosomes will be from me. I believe I would be okay with this but I would ALWAYS pray for him/her/them as I do the kiddos I have (and continue to) co-parent hands on. (Two of which are not my biological kids but I love them dearly as if they are.) So, why would I not be able to do the reverse...co-parent biologically but not in person? Am I so arrogant to believe I am the best mother out there?!

13 For you formed my inward parts;
you knitted me together in my mother's womb.
(Psalm 139:13-14. ESV.)

I have learned that "family" is made up of many varying factors and looks differently to everyone (or many). For some, it is all about bloodlines. For others, their "family" members do not share the same genes. We have church "families", dance "families", fighter "families", foster "families", adoptive "families", biker "families", biological "families", brothers and sisters in Christ, beloved friends who act as "family" (and sit closer than a brother), etc. And, as long as a child is loved, nurtured, provided for, protected, and trained up in the way he/she should go, that should be what matters, right?

But upon further research I found egg donation and implanting is a more complex procedure than I originally thought. The donor would have to receive hormones or chemicals to cause the ovaries to produce and release multiple "eggs". I am not fond of putting anything into my body. I prefer to be au natural.

Further, the part that bothers me the most is once these "eggs" are harvested, they are put into petri dishes, fertilized, the best one or two are placed in the recipient's uterus and the rest are aborted. And that there, is the deal breaker for me.

7The law of the LORD is perfect,
reviving the soul;
the testimony of the LORD is sure,
making wise the simple;
8the precepts of the LORD are right,
rejoicing the heart;
the commandment of the LORD is pure,
enlightening the eyes;
9the fear of the LORD is clean,
enduring forever;
the rules of the LORD are true,
and righteous altogether.
10More to be desired are they than gold,
even much fine gold;
sweeter also than honey
and drippings of the honeycomb.
11Moreover, by them is your servant warned;
in keeping them there is great reward.

12Who can discern his errors?
Declare me innocent from hidden faults.
13Keep back your servant also from presumptuous sins;
let them not have dominion over me!
Then I shall be blameless,
and innocent of great transgression.
14Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
be acceptable in your sight,
O LORD, my rock and my redeemer.
(John 14:15-26. ESV.)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails