Monday, November 18, 2013

Learn to Do Good; Seek Justice

Thinking about egg donation brought something to my attention. What about women who really want to give birth but are barren? When all other options have failed and in vitro is being considered and discussed. I felt a mild pull toward it as I contemplated egg donation but how strong and tempting it must be to those who want a baby with all their heart.

Multiple eggs are harvested, fertilized outside of the body, the "best" one or two are implanted into the woman's uterus, and the remaining embryos are aborted or used for stem cell research. This would be quite a dilemma for me if I was faced with such a decision! The call to be a mother is so intense it is sickening at times! But to sacrifice multiple lives for a 55% chance of a successful pregnancy and birth?

Side note: All of this brings to mind embryo stem cells. When I had each of my children, I was asked if the stem cells from the umbilical cords may be obtained. I said, "Yes," each time but I couldn't help but wonder if there is any "unethical" research conducted on those cells. Today, I read, "...umbilical cord blood is an ethical source of stem cells." That gives me peace of mind.

How truly thankful I am for my biological kiddos, my kids I co-parented but did not birth, and someday (maybe) adopted children. Yep, I am back to mulling over adoption...but not in the near future. Perhaps in, oh say, 12 years or so. I want to get my Bachelor's Degree, finish raising my young ones, go to law school, and then meditate on and pray about being an adoptive or foster parent.

learn to do good;
seek justice,
correct oppression;
bring justice to the fatherless,
plead the widow's cause.
(Isaiah 1:17 ESV)

The above is what I intend to do as an attorney, too.

"If you love me, you will keep my commandments. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, to be with you forever, even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, for he dwells with you and will be in you. "I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. Yet a little while and the world will see me no more, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live. In that day you will know that I am in my Father, and you in me, and I in you. Whoever has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves me. And he who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and manifest myself to him." (John 14:15-21 ESV)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails