Wednesday, December 25, 2013

For Everyone Who Has Been Born of God Overcomes the World

"...after 1917, as the war took its toll of young men, the British government established women's auxiliary units for the army, navy, and air force. These positions gave thousands of women a sense of participation in the war effort and a taste of personal and financial independence." (Bulliet, Crossley, Headrick, Hirsch, Johnson, and Northrup. The Earth and Its Peoples: Fifth Edition. 2011. Pg. 771.)

"Personal and financial independence"... I remember after I graduated high school, I bought a used (yet decent) car, got a two bedroom apartment with a female coworker, had a full time job, paid all of my bills, and took care of myself. I was self sufficient, self governing, and unaided. Next, I found a job that allowed me to travel and did that for a little bit before I decided to get married and start a family.

I began a family, foremost. Many go through school, get their degree, establish their career...I chose having a husband and children before anything else. Was it the right decision? For me? I believe so. I would not trade ANY of my kiddos (not even the most difficult one) for anything! They are mine! A gift from the Lord! Regardless if they see themselves that way, that is what they are...a beautiful blessing to me from God. He entrusted me with His precious little lambs and I will be held accountable for how I have trained them up!

My sibling did the exact opposite, by first getting a degree, establishing a means to support a family and then came everything else. I love it! I am given the opportunity to be "Auntie" and it is wonderful. I see a future in which I can attend birthday parties, Christmases, maybe some Easters...the holidays I hold dear. The ones in which Jesus is King and glorified. Not much else matters to me. That is the truth!

Experience is the best (and cruelest) teacher. I have found living according to God's word is best, but that means in EVERY way, not just the ones I see fit to choose. Not doing things "by the book" (as I call it) causes all sorts of issues. Just look at Abraham and Sarah. God promised Abraham a NATION yet they just could not be still. Sarah suggested Abraham have a child with her handmaiden and Ishmael was born. To this day there is a messy conflict that can be traced all the way back to that!

When (not "if"...because, unfortunately I have done it) I get impatient and do things "my" way, it causes all kinds of problems! So, please allow me to encourage you to stay in God's word and BE PATIENT! God knows what is best!

Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ has been born of God, and everyone who loves the Father loves whoever has been born of him. By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and obey his commandments. For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments. And his commandments are not burdensome. For everyone who has been born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world—our faith. Who is it that overcomes the world except the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of God? (1 John 5:1-5 ESV)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails