Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Romancing the Hero

Up where the mountains meet the heavens above
Out where the lightning splits the sea
I would swear that there's someone somewhere
Watching me

Through the wind and the chill and the rain
And the storm and the flood
I can feel his approach
Like the fire in my blood
(Steinman, Jim. "Holding Out For A Hero". 1984.)

There have a been a couple of times in my life where I was "holding out for a hero". I had a preconceived notion as to what that person would be like. Is it just me or does anyone else do that? Maybe waiting for "Mr. Right" or perhaps a "knight in shining armor" to rescue a "damsel in distress"?

The chorus of the above mentioned song goes,
I need a hero...
He's gotta be strong
And he's gotta be fast
And he's gotta be fresh from the fight...
He's gotta be sure
And it's gotta be soon
And he's got to be larger than life.
(Steinman, Jim. "Holding Out For A Hero". 1984.)

"Larger than life." What would that person look like? Would he or she be a "super hero" in a costume with a special ability to fight crime? A military personnel or soldier? A firefighter? A police officer or deputy? Medical staff/ doctors and/or nurses? A judge or lawyer? The district attorney (DA)? A body guard? A politician? A social worker? A celebrity? An astronaut or scientist? A teacher? A television or radio personality? Someone who fought for the rights of others? A missionary? A family member?

Each time I roll this over in my mind, I catch myself focusing on tangible things. Something (or someone) I can see, touch, embrace, hold (or by which or whom I can be held). But, at the end of the day, my "hero" is an idea...a belief...a faith! As cliché as it sounds, my #1 hero is Jesus! Also, Pastor John Piper stated the following,
Here is one small contribution. In spite of all the legitimate warnings against hero worship, I want to risk waving a flag for holy emulation—which includes realistic admiration. Hero worship means admiring someone for unholy reasons and seeing all he does as admirable (whether it’s sin or not). Holy emulation, on the other hand, sees evidences of God’s grace, and admires them for Christ’s sake, and wants to learn from them and grow in them.

This theme is strong in the New Testament.

“Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ” (1 Corinthians 11:1).

“Brothers, join in imitating me, and keep your eyes on those who walk according to the example you have in us” (Philippians 3:17).

“What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you” (Philippians 4:9).

“And you became imitators of us and of the Lord” (1 Thessalonians 1:6).

“[Do] not be sluggish, but imitators of those who through faith and patience inherit the promises” (Hebrews 6:12).

“You, however, have followed my teaching, my conduct, my aim in life, my faith, my patience, my love, my steadfastness” (2 Timothy 3:10).

“Continue in what you have learned and have firmly believed, knowing from whom you learned it” (2 Timothy 3:14).

“Show yourself in all respects to be a model of good works, and in your teaching show integrity, dignity” (Titus 2:7).
(By John Piper. ©2013 Desiring God Foundation. Website: desiringGod.org.)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails