Saturday, December 21, 2013

The Homeless Family on the Corner

Thanksgiving day I was on my way to the Second Born's place for dinner when I stopped at a local store to pick up something. When I pulled into the parking lot, the Little Chef, Little Leaguer, and I noticed a small family standing on the corner. The mother held their youngest tightly as he/she napped, their oldest (about six or seven years old) played while sitting on the cement, and the father held a sign stating they were homeless and needed assistance.

After grabbing that for which we came, we walked to the corner and gave the small family some cash. (Nowhere close to what I wish I could have given.) But, what I really wanted to do was invite them to our Thanksgiving dinner. My heart broke and I almost came to tears as the mother, father, and oldest child thanked me for the cash. How desperately I wished I had an apartment or house to offer them until they could get back on their feet...a place the children could stay dry and warm...a safe place.

I am currently working on getting my Bachelor's Degree so I can attend law school. Once I pass the bar exam and land a job as an attorney, I look forward to giving at least 1/4 of my pay to charity! (I have a yearning, to the depths of my soul, to give all that I have...which currently I only have a "seasonal" position so, not much to give.) Yet, one day, that might be different. I plan for a change.

I keep telling myself... One day, after I get my Bachelor's Degree in business, finish law school, pass the bar exam, and get a great job, I am going to...

1. Help other people.
2. Donate 1/4 of my pay to charity.
3. Fund a halfway house for homeless families.
4. Fund a foster home for children.
5. Buy myself a refurbished muscle car....

I'm sure the list will get bigger as time goes by and I strive to reach my goal for the next season of my vapor of a life. A friend of hubs joked and said I will be 60 years old by that time. Funny, but boy, I hope not!

So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. Give no offense to Jews or to Greeks or to the church of God, just as I try to please everyone in everything I do, not seeking my own advantage, but that of many, that they may be saved. (1 Corinthians 10:31-33 ESV)

The end of the matter; all has been heard. Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man. (Ecclesiastes 12:13 ESV)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails