Friday, January 10, 2014

He Will Exult Over You With Loud Singing

On November 25, 2013, I joined a friend of mine in re-entering the world of theater. That spurred me on to once again attend voice lessons...which I started Thursday night!

Skeptically, I began with scales and technique exercises. Hesitantly, I practiced my first song in over 15 years. (That is not to say I do not give concerts in my car, frequently... I do! Just ask my entourage.) But to "for real" sing in front of anyone, that is a card I play close to my chest. I second guess myself often and have very low self confidence in areas that are either more challenging for me, not practiced enough, or new. Admittedly, I am a perfectionist and demand everything I do to be...well, exactly the way I want it.

So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. (1 Corinthians 10:31 ESV)

Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God. And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. (Colossians 3:16, 17 ESV)

Make a joyful noise to the Lord, all the earth!
Serve the Lord with gladness!
Come into his presence with singing!
(Psalm 100:1, 2 ESV)

When asked, "What do you want to get out of your [voice] lessons?" I replied with, "To be able to do musicals and maybe sing in church." My only sibling is a member of the "praise and worship team" at church. Likewise, a friend of mine (with whom I grew up) is a beautiful singer and a part of that very same choral group. Going through college, the first time, I was enrolled at a university with a top notch performing arts department. There I was being trained to be a "triple threat"...to excel in dance, singing, and acting. I have to be honest, I feel my singing is the weakest out of the three, for me. But, as a wife, mother, and full time student (again), my time is limited for extra curricular activities. Yet, that door is open and getting back to my "roots" is exciting and perhaps much needed.

The Lord your God is in your midst
a mighty one who will save;
he will rejoice over you with gladness;
he will quiet you by his love;
he will exult over you with loud singing.
(Zephaniah 3:17 ESV)

I wonder what God's voice sounds like! Have you ever thought about it?
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails