Tuesday, March 25, 2014

He Will Not Let Us Settle for Wonderful and Happy Thoughts of Self

I work hard. I swear I do. I do not drive and sit in a classroom for full time college credit but I do work on my online classes for four courses totaling 12 units. The work load is heavy. I made the decision many years ago to be a stay at home mom. I would not have traded that for anything! Not even for money in my pocket. But now my children are older and I feel it is time for me to begin preparing for “empty nest”. Unfortunately, it is a juggling act and sometimes I drop a ball or two. I cannot please everyone (or some days “anyone”) and as I’m sure you can imagine, that ruffles some feathers and warrants disgruntled individuals when my service is lacking. But I try and that is what matters, right?

It is when I “drop a ball or two” that causes me to re-evaluate things. Is it worth it? Yes, I believe so. When all of our kiddos are grown, I want to be able to help each of them from time to time if they need a little assistance. I desire to have a few bucks in my pocket down the road. I would like for hubs to retire one day if he wishes. I covet the freedom that comes from depending on myself alone for anything and everything. Does that sound selfish or unbiblical?

I am thankful for my “seasonal” job position while I go to school full time for my degree. (I say “seasonal” because I do not work full time or even part time. I work occasionally…I’m “on-call”.) But, half of that money goes to “pay bills” so that does not leave much for me to put into savings (for a “rainy day” or to pay back my loan), pay for much of anything, etc. This coming “pay day” should be the best one yet, though.

Sometimes I feel like I am fighting an uphill battle. But there are many others whose “battles” are far worse. There are single mothers who struggle just to make ends meet day to day. The weight of providing a home, food, clothing, and shelter for their children falls solely on them. (I have had the pleasure of knowing two wonderful ladies recently. One who just finished law school…she was determined and made it to her finish line! Now, her children will have a better life because of her persistence. The second is about to go back to school.) There are women in other countries (and even our own) who are forbidden to get an education. They will always have to depend on someone else for necessities. And there are cultures, nations, races who are not treated equally, although that is how each of us were created…equal…to glorify God.

God’s God-centered Love Is the Greatest Love for Us
Why does God remind us over and over that he makes much of us in a way that is designed ultimately to make much of him?

The answer is this: Loving us this way is a greater love. God’s love for us, that makes much of us for his glory, is a greater love than if he ended by making us our greatest treasure, rather than himself. Making himself our end is a greater love than making us his end. The reason this is greater love is that self, no matter how glorified by God (Romans 8:30), will never satisfy a heart that is made for God.

God loves his people infinitely. He sent his Son to die that he might have us, and that we might have him (1 Peter 3:18). He will not let us settle for wonderful and happy thoughts of self. Not even a saved, glorified self. He will not let our glory, which he himself creates and delights in, replace his glory as our supreme treasure. That would not be love.

We are loved by God. We are precious to God, and the greatest gift he has for us is to not let our preciousness become our god. God will be our God. God alone, forever. And this is infinite love.

When we experience this love deeply—when we are compelled by this love in everything—God is greatly glorified.
(By John Piper. ©2013 Desiring God Foundation. Website: desiringGod.org. http://www.desiringgod.org/blog/posts/god-loves-us-more-when-he-loves-us-for-his-glory)

(Photo information.)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails