Monday, April 14, 2014

Though There is Change at My House, There is Nothing New Under the Sun

There have been some changes in my home, recently. Being I am finishing up my second semester as a full time student, I have to distribute my time and attention to detail a bit differently than when I was homeschooling our young ones. Without disrupting the household too much, I needed to make some adjustments to the “house schedule” as I call it.

As each of our children gets older he/she is assigned age appropriate chores for which he/she receives cash. Ideally, I would like to make this payment at the end of each week but more often than not it usually gets pushed back and ends up occurring a) whenever I dedicate the time to it, b) the children would like to spend their money and would like payment, or c) the kiddos have grown tired of waiting and respectfully remind me I owe them. I believe their father and I are better parents to them than our older children because I feel we learned from our mistakes the first round.

For the most part, I suppose I still fall into the “stay at home mom” category (because I do my full time classes for my bachelor’s degree online and am a substitute teacher so I only get called into work occasionally). Regardless of my title, the fact is my load has changed and with it the flow of the daily household items. Dinner, for example, is now a shared chore between hubs and I. He has chosen to be in charge of it Saturdays, Sundays, and Mondays and I am responsible for it Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays. Fridays are “free for all” because hubs has softball and I have bible study. The young bloods are old enough now to make themselves something easy for dinner on “free for all” nights (which they seem to enjoy). I suppose it gives them a feeling of independence…I don’t know.

Hubs has also decided he would like to try taking over the grocery shopping. At first I was hesitant because we have different ideas of “healthy” foods. But, at the end of the day if he would like to give it a whirl who am I to say, “Nah, that’s okay, I’ve got it covered.” Besides, I think it will be good for him to see it can be a little tricky staying within budget (for which he is a stickler and failed at doing his first shopping attempt. We’ll see how it goes next time…if he still wants to do the shopping).

All in all, I am thankful for the changes. It helps to lighten my load a tad and keep the household functioning a little smoother. When everyone is waiting on me (to meet the scheduled deadlines for my classes, clean the house, do the laundry, make dinner, tend to the dogs, shop for groceries, drive here and there, etc…you know the normal “to do” list) things tend to get backed up. Having our household unit work as a team might keep things moving more efficiently. I do not think there is anything wrong with that.

I have an abiding fear of what C. S. Lewis called chronological snobbery. Chronological snobbery is the arrogant notion that the ideas of our own day are better than the ideas of a bygone day just because the ideas are in our day. Chronological snobbery feels that things are truer because they are newer. And so it is both irrational and naïve.

It's irrational because being new is no guarantee of being true. It's pure arrogance to think that a thought in my head is better than a thought in the head of Martin Luther just because I live in the twentieth century and he lived in the sixteenth. There is no logical connection between the truth of an insight and the century when God puts it into somebody's mind.
And chronological snobbery is not only irrational. It is also naïve. Because there aren't any really new ideas under the sun. Ecclesiastes 1:9–10 says,
What has been is what will be,
and what has been done is what will be done;
and there is nothing new under the sun.
Is there a thing of which it is said,
"See, this is new"?
It has been already,
in the ages before us.
So I try to flee every temptation to be a chronological snob. I don't want to be irrational or naïve. C. S. Lewis prescribed at least one antidote. He said that every third book you read should be from outside your own century. It was good advice.
( By John Piper. ©2014 Desiring God Foundation. Website: desiringGod.org. http://www.desiringgod.org/sermons/you-shall-worship-the-lord-your-god.)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails