Friday, May 16, 2014

Preparing for Yosemite Half Dome

It is official. My friend got six permits through the state park lottery and we are going to be doing the Yosemite Half Dome hike in June 2014! To be honest, I love this kind of stuff but I never would have thought to do this hike if it was not for Amber! Thanks, girl! Further, I am actually surprised we got a spot given there are so many who want to do this and they only allow a certain number of people each day. Youtube is full of videos of individuals who have tried and conquered it or gave it their best effort but did not quite make it. I understand it is quite intense but it is not Everest, so I am hopeful I will do okay.

I figure as long as we are wise and prepare to the best of our ability, all should go well. I have never wished to own a “Go Pro” camera before…but for this, I do! I think it is going to be awesome!

I love being in the “great outdoors” in God’s creation --- the fresh air and sunshine. And, from what I understand, the hike will take ALL DAY. We will begin when the sun rises and it is advised we finish before the sun sets. I am planning to bring a head lamp and flash light (just incase), at least a gallon of water, and I would like to get some hiking boots/shoes. The last time I did some serious hiking was years ago in Singapore (or Taiwan, I cannot remember which of the two).

Preparation is a lot for someone like me who has not hiked in a very long time! I feel I have to make sure I have the proper gear (1. Camelbak or backpack to hold drinking water and supplies. 2. Hiking shoes. 3. Supplies: water, electrolytes, hot/cold pack, hat, sun screen, biodegradable baby wipes, sandwich bag or two, acetaminophen or ibuprofen, medical tape, rain gear, gloves for the cables, headlamp and flashlight, insect repellent, etc.), train so my cardio, legs, etc. will be ready, and do some practice trails.

I am already back to the kenpo jiu-jitsu studio training and each weekend I plan to head to one of the state parks nearby to practice some steep hiking. I want to enjoy Half Dome as much as possible. I do not want it to be a nightmare, struggle, “what the heck was I thinking” kind of thing, you know? I think I am most excited about the cables! I have tried a little bit of rock climbing but the cables allow you to get up the side of Half Dome without all the climbing gear. I am afraid my legs are going to be mush. The whole thing is so frightening and exciting all at the same time.

Last Saturday, my friend and I started at the junction (on Mt. Diablo) and hiked to the summit. Tomorrow is supposed to be 80 degrees F (26.6667 degrees C) so it probably is not a good day to go do a trail unless we get there right when the park opens (8:00 am) and try to finish by noon or so. I don’t know. We’ll see.

I am so thankful for this vapor of a life God has given me. It definitely has its difficult challenges but the blessings are immeasurable! I just stick to doing things by the Book (His Word) and being faithful and He takes care of everything else…and gives me amazing “hugs” along the way. Truly I am blessed!

17Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. 18And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another. For this comes from the Lord who is the Spirit. (2 Corinthians 3:17-18. ESV.)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails