Thursday, June 19, 2014

Goodbyes Are Only for Those Who Love With Their Eyes

T-minus twelve (12) more months until we make our move to the great state of Texas. I never thought I would live in so many amazing places…Florida, Singapore, Taiwan, Australia, California, and soon Texas! And, I have to say, I can’t wait! I’m sure the year is going to fly past and we have so much to do before we hit the road with our belongings in tow. It is always exciting and sad at the same time. But, I found this picture yesterday that says it all:
Goodbyes are only for those who love with their eyes. Because for those who love with heart and soul there is no such thing as separation.

The older I get the more I realize the importance of family. In my early twenties I moved out to California to be with a guy. I was young, naïve, reckless, impulsive, adventurous, independent, and free spirited. Things did not work out as I had planned…quite the opposite, really. But, I have learned so much about myself and God has grown and stretched me beyond belief. Isn’t that what He does, though? He has shown me to depend on Him alone and all I am called to do is have faith and He takes care of all the rest.

Jesus calls each one of us to follow him (John 15:16). All of God’s promises are yes to each one of us in Christ (2 Corinthians 1:20). We each get to share in Christ’s inheritance (Colossians 1:12) and as members of Christ’s united body we need each other (Romans 12:5).
But we do not all have the same function (Romans 12:4). Each disciple, each individual member of the body, has a unique role. And each of us must lead the life that the Lord has assigned to him, and to which God has called him (1 Corinthians 7:17).

The question, “What is that to you?” is one you and I need to ask frequently. How God deals with other people is often of excessive concern to us, especially if their paths don’t seem to be paved with the same pain as ours.

The fallen part of our nature doesn’t look at others and glory in how each of them uniquely bears the imago dei (Genesis 1:27). It doesn’t revel in their distinctive refraction of God’s multifaceted glory. It doesn’t rejoice in the sweet providences God grants to them. It is not grateful for the blessings of their God-given strengths. It does not want to deal gently with their weaknesses (Hebrews 5:2). Full of pride and selfish ambition, our fallen nature uses others to gauge our own significance, how successful and impressive we perceive ourselves to be.
(Bloom, Jon. “Jesus Wants You to be You”. http://www.desiringgod.org/blog/posts/jesus-wants-you-to-be-you. By Jon Bloom. ©2014 Desiring God Foundation. Website: desiringGod.org)

I admit it. I do look at the lives of others and feel jealousy over what they have that is lacking in my own life. Or envy their walk as opposed to my own. Jon Bloom’s message and the words of Jesus speak to my heart. I need to stop with my discontentment and be thankful for all of the blessings --- wanted or not --- God has given to me. He does not give me what I want, but rather what I need . And I needed to be refined and pruned.

6In this you rejoice, though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been grieved by various trials, 7so that the tested genuineness of your faith—more precious than gold that perishes though it is tested by fire—may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ. 8Though you have not seen him, you love him. Though you do not now see him, you believe in him and rejoice with joy that is inexpressible and filled with glory, 9obtaining the outcome of your faith, the salvation of your souls. (1 Peter 1:6-9. ESV.)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails