Thursday, July 10, 2014

Go Therefore And Make Disciples of All Nations

What does the mission field look like in your life? Ramon Lull describes missions in this way,
By “missions,” I mean the process of Christians from reached people groups sharing the gospel with unreached people groups (UPG), implying that languages must be learned and cultures must be understood. Language acquisition and cultural understanding take years, perhaps even decades — not days. By Ramon Lull. ©2014 Desiring God Foundation. Website: desiringGod.org. http://www.desiringgod.org/blog/posts/there-s-nothing-short-about-short-term-missions

As I have mentioned before on this blog, I would love to start taking my younger children on missions. After reading the quote above, I felt a little discouraged. My kiddos and I cannot commit to living in an “unreached area” of the world for “years, perhaps even decades”. Further, I am embarrassed to say I only know one language…English. So, where does that leave me and my young ones?

I recall someone telling me we have a mission field right in our own homes. As I thought about that further I figure that reaches beyond our backyard and into our community. There are many who may not have heard the gospel, right? Further, the internet allows me to “venture” to other countries and connect with people (but only if they have access, which multiple territories do not). So, again, I wonder how my kids and I can contribute. I truly want to teach them the Great Commission:
19Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.” (Matthew 28:19-20. ESV.)

I feel I have to start somewhere so maybe the mission trip to Central America is not a bad jumping off point…even though we would only be there for a short period of time. I guess I have a lot of praying to do on this matter.

4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice. 5Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; 6do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. 7And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

8Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. 9What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.
(Philippians 4:4-9. ESV.)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails