Wednesday, July 09, 2014

You Make Known to Me the Path of Life

As I continue with my studies this summer I find I am not only evaluating my parenting (which has had a couple of rough days this week) but also my vapor of a life (James 4:14), itself. I am barely still classified as being in “young adulthood” and teetering on the threshold of “middle adulthood”. In some of the chapter reading, I see myself described accurately. The bit about what I have to look forward to, the next few years as I tumble into the next category, leaves me feeling a little bothered.

“Middle adulthood” appears to be a time of many changes…physically, emotionally, intellectually, hormonally, medically, etc. In some ways there are pros. On many other levels there are cons. Heart disease and cancer become a bigger concern. The body slows down a little bit. Skin, lenses on the eyes, and eardrums lose elasticity. And, with child rearing years coming to a close a percentage of individuals (like me) return to university and begin a new career. I seem to be par for the course in this sense.

However, with entering a field I will be competing with young adults freshly out of school. Thankfully, I will have half an existence of experience on my side that will hopefully work to my advantage. Above all, though, I have God to direct my path.
104I gain understanding from your precepts;
therefore I hate every wrong path.
105Your word is a lamp for my feet,
a light on my path.
(Pslam 119:104-105. NIV.)
He is my pilot and navigator.

I feel I have lived two lifetimes thus far. I trained as a ballerina and well-rounded dancer, traveled, and lived in Singapore, Taiwan, and Australia before starting a family. My “preschool” to “adolescence” holds enough to fill volumes of scrapbooks and journals. The “good ol’ days” were filled with family, friendships, youth group, church, schooling, dance, competitions, fun, adventure, mystery, hard work, sweat, maybe a few tears, encouragement, success, and most importantly, God. It is a joy to look back on old pictures and stay in touch with my companions from those days (who I miss dearly)!

Then, I have my time as a mother…an awesome undertaking and privilege all on its own! My “young adult” years have been like a second cycle of yet more memories, relationships, and wisdom that satisfy my wholly. Being fortunate to stay home with my children, teaching, and training them up in the ways of the Lord has been (and continues to be) an honor. My words are not adequate enough to express my heart. I look forward to watching them grow, mature, and go out on their own guided by God. My prayer always is they will be good and faithful servants of Christ Jesus (Matthew 25:21 & 23). The love my kiddos give me is beyond measure. My cup runeth over (Psalm 23:5)!
11You make known to me the path of life;
you will fill me with joy in your presence,
with eternal pleasures at your right hand.
(Pslam 16:11. NIV.)

I have been filled with such joy and eternal pleasures, indeed! The pages of my childhood, adolescence, and young adulthood are full of delight, good things, gladness, and rejoicing…all of which I pray my children will also know! My hope is in the Lord!

1Keep me safe, my God,
for in you I take refuge.
2I say to the LORD, “You are my Lord;
apart from you I have no good thing.”
3I say of the holy people who are in the land,
“They are the noble ones in whom is all my delight.”
4Those who run after other gods will suffer more and more.
I will not pour out libations of blood to such gods
or take up their names on my lips.
5LORD, you alone are my portion and my cup;
you make my lot secure.
6The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places;
surely I have a delightful inheritance.
7I will praise the LORD, who counsels me;
even at night my heart instructs me.
8I keep my eyes always on the LORD.
With him at my right hand, I will not be shaken.
9Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices;
my body also will rest secure,
10because you will not abandon me to the realm of the dead,
nor will you let your faithful one see decay.
11You make known to me the path of life;
you will fill me with joy in your presence,
with eternal pleasures at your right hand.
(Psalm 16. NIV.)

(Photo Information.)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails