Wednesday, August 06, 2014

Friends: Let Us Consider How to Stir Up One Another to Love

We used to sing a song in elementary school music class that went like this:
Make new friends, but keep the old. One is silver, and the other is gold.
My dad explained to me that the “old friends” are the golden ones. A notion I did not understand until I got older. My dear friends who had to endure me as a stubborn adolescent and headstrong young adult certainly are gold!
2Let each of us please his neighbor for his good, to build him up. (Romans 15:2. ESV.)

Trust and dependence on God alone is vital but family and friends are also of great importance. I wrote yesterday and touched on how significant my family is to me. Today, I address my friends. I fail them often and they let me down on occasion. But the body of Christ has a key role and responsibility to each other!
12Take care, brothers, lest there be in any of you an evil, unbelieving heart, leading you to fall away from the living God.13But exhort one another every day, as long as it is called “today,” that none of you may be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin. 14For we have come to share in Christ, if indeed we hold our original confidence firm to the end. (Hebrews 3:12-14. ESV.)
We are iron sharpening iron (Proverbs 27:17).

I believe the love between friends to be very deep. 1 Samuel 18 describes it as two souls knit together.
1As soon as he had finished speaking to Saul, the soul of Jonathan was knit to the soul of David, and Jonathan loved him as his own soul. (1 Samuel 18:1. ESV.)
It is my heart’s desire to not only be interested and supportive of the passions and pursuits of my children, husband, and family but also those of my friends! I should devote time EVERY, single day to call a friend! I am good at writing letters, email, texts, and following the day to day on social networks. But I should telephone. Yes! I’ll update my address book or put together a spreadsheet and contact one person each day. I think I can handle that! There are 365 days in a year. I should be able to cover everyone I know…and if not, I will phone two a day! And, I’ll write letters more often instead of only one at Christmas time.

It is so easy to get caught up in the day to day and only focus on what is right in front of me…to get washed away in our schedules and the rat race. I have heard the acronym BUSY (Being Under Satan’s Yoke) a couple times. I can see how this would apply if one is too “busy” to be in God’s word each day, to sit before His throne of grace, and do what He places on the heart. Whatever does not proceed from faith is sin (Romans 14:23).
16In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven. (Matthew 5:16. ESV.)

24And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, 25not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near. (Hebrews 10:24-25. ESV.)

(Photo Information: Bing Public Domain.)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails