Thursday, August 28, 2014

My Word Shall Not Return to Me Empty

I saw this picture which says, “Be careful how you live. You will be the only bible some people ever read.” And, the weightiness of it was heavy on me. #1 I think it blows my mind there are individuals who will never pick up and at least skim through the bible. That alone is so difficult for me to wrap my head around. And, to be honest, it makes me sad. The richness of the gospel, the depth and importance of the text, and the love that is the “letter” from God to us is such that my heart grieves for the ones who miss out on it…who do not know God and the magnitude of all that is Him. How can that be? That is like saying someone does not need oxygen to breath. It is unfathomable to me.

#2 The mere thought of me being “the only bible some people ever read” stops me in my tracks. God saves souls…I get that. But the fact I may (or may not) influence one to or from the kingdom is grave. I stumble…a lot. This blog is probably decent proof of that! So, to think of my walk (in the Spirit or in the flesh) as affecting another human being…that is substantial…massive…even burdensome (at times).

Immediately, I think of Jesus saying,
28Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” (Matthew 11:28-30. ESV.)
And Paul, who wrote,
20I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. 21I do not nullify the grace of God, for if righteousness were through the law, then Christ died for no purpose. (Galatians 2:20-21. ESV.)
Further, I cannot help but wonder (always), do those around me see Christ in me. Am I a reflection of Him? I personally do not believe I have been refined enough for an adequate “reflection” to be seen. I am still VERY MUCH a work in progress.

I look at my family. My husband and young adult children are not readers and followers of God’s word. I cannot help but tell myself, “You are doing something wrong! Look at them! They have no interest in all God is, was, and forever will be. One of them even blatantly defies God saying, 'He does not exist!'" Oh, my broken heart. And, when I try to show them my heart they get angry with me. However, I must preach to myself, darkness hates the light. Also, that God made a promise to me saying,
6 Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it. (Proverbs 22:6. ESV.)
and He will keep His guarantee. He ALWAYS does!

Anyway. “Be careful how you live. You will be the only bible some people ever read.” I am thankful for the reminder and God’s word which says,
11so shall my word be that goes out from my mouth; it shall not return to me empty, but it shall accomplish that which I purpose, and shall succeed in the thing for which I sent it. (Isaiah 55:11. ESV.)
All honor and glory be to God!
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails