Friday, September 26, 2014

He Set the Earth on its Foundations: 50 Things I am Going to Miss About California (#48-#47)

In celebration of our move from California to Texas I kicked off this list, last week, with 50. Earthquakes and 49. Traffic. Which brings us to the next two items on my list:

48. The Freeways
I have a love/hate relationship with the California (CA) freeways. When all is well, everyone is being careful, observant, courteous, etc. the freeways move relatively swiftly (65 mph) and are pretty efficient. But construction, someone texting or talking and not paying attention, a nincompoop acting foolishly, fog, someone tailgating (following the car ahead too closely), a car broken down in the fast lane or one of the middle lanes, etc. can cause a huge, very dangerous problem in a matter of seconds. And, what is with so many car fires!!! It was not until I moved here that I began seeing this amount! I should carry around a fire extinguisher with me! We just saw one last weekend on our way home from Santa Cruz. One day, last year, I even saw a motorcycle on fire! And the guy was still riding it! I could not help but wonder if his leg hair was getting singed! I do believe I witness at least one automobile fire quarterly…(one each year at the very least). For me, it is too much.

The 80, 50, 5, 99, 405 etc. range anywhere from four to six lanes across. At certain times during the day they are massive parking lots with vehicles bumper to bumper as far as the eye can see. A fender bender or pile up on the opposite side of the freeway generally means rubber neckers, slow moving traffic, and delays on the clear side. I have to admit, though, I am used to them…it took a little while when I first got here (rule number one my friends told me was “never tailgate!”) but now whenever I go other places I miss the zany CA freeways and their long, well-marked on and off ramps with adequate signage. Oh, and motorists here care about how fast each lane moves. The “fast” lane (far left) is exactly that and mainly for passing. Slower traffic should stick to the “slow lane” (far right). Everyone else is in the middle lanes going with the flow. Oh, and do not misuse the carpool lane!

47. The crazy expensive cost of living. (No way, Jose!)
It is worth being mentioned but I certainly will NOT miss it, at all! I feel it is nearly impossible for a single person to live alone in this state! Roommates are pretty much a given. Our first home was two bedrooms (with a “den” we used as a third bedroom), two bath, and 1151 square feet. It was out in the middle of pasture (so to speak), in a housing development 30 minutes away from pretty much everything (though the small town does have a “main street” area with various shops, bars, etc. and a relatively expensive little grocery store) off of a two lane highway. We paid $204,000 for it in 2001. In 2013 it sold for $210,000. (The price per square foot being $176.) Now, think about the houses in your area that cost $204,000 - $210,000. What does a person get for his/her money? I will tell you in the other states in which I looked, I found twice the house for that cost! California is beautiful, it truly is, but costly.

5He set the earth on its foundations,
so that it should never be moved.
6You covered it with the deep as with a garment;
the waters stood above the mountains.
7At your rebuke they fled;
at the sound of your thunder they took to flight.
8The mountains rose, the valleys sank down
to the place that you appointed for them.
9You set a boundary that they may not pass,
so that they might not again cover the earth.

10You make springs gush forth in the valleys;
they flow between the hills;
11they give drink to every beast of the field;
the wild donkeys quench their thirst.
12Beside them the birds of the heavens dwell;
they sing among the branches.
13 From your lofty abode you water the mountains;
the earth is satisfied with the fruit of your work.
(Psalm 104:5-13. ESV.)

(Click here to go to #46-#44.)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails