Thursday, September 18, 2014

He Will Give You the Desires of Your Heart

The misty rain outside reminds me winter is on its way. I cannot help but check the weather in Austin, Texas (soon to be our new home). Currently, it is nine degrees warmer than here and partly cloudy. It is supposed to storm there and here (Northern California (CA)), later today. I wonder what the winters will be like in Austin. I have been told by a handful of people as to what to expect but the reality of it might be a tad bit different. One fellow Floridian (with whom I grew up) said I am going to love the Austin area! Another said, yes, but the winters are pretty cold. I lived in Oklahoma (OK) for a couple years and the winters (I only survived two) were a little too much for me. There was snow…quite a bit of it. Walking to class (at university) was not a big deal once I figured out I needed to wear a scarf around my face so it did not feel like it was going to freeze completely off! The parking lot at my apartment complex would freeze over with ice. The part that was just the deal breaker for me was the driving in the snow and ice. NO WAY! As a passenger, I watched as cars slid and collided into each other. They could not stop…even if they were going five or ten miles an hour! To me, it was scary madness. As long as winters are not like that in Austin, I should do fine!

I lived in Florida (FL) for about 20 years, but Austin is on a higher line of latitude than Northern Florida. So, I assume it will get colder than, say, Tallahassee in the winter time. I also lived in Long Beach, CA for a year or so and Austin is on a lower line of latitude than the southern most point of CA. Being we have taken our girls to the beach on Christmas Day before, while living in Long Beach, I am wondering if Austin will be slightly warmer in winter. But, when comparing word of mouth notes, it sounds very similar to where we currently live (plus some ice on the roads). Looking at a climate map it appears Austin will average anywhere between ten degrees and thirty degrees during the winter and falls into the “humid subtropical” climate classification. (Less 10 and more 30 would be nice!) I will keep watching and comparing the weather reports on my phone to get a better idea but I think it will be okay. I will be closer to my family and that is what REALLY matters to me.

Okay, that is quite enough obsessing over weather. God has truly blessed me with the most amazing family and friends. Some of which will be in Texas, too! And, the drive to Northern Florida is an easy 15 hours. (Yes, I did use “easy” and “15 hours” in the same sentence.) I am one of those people who LOVES road trips. And, being within a reasonable driving distance to my family is all I wanted…to get to see them quarterly as opposed to once a year is going to be so precious to me! Sure, life is crazy but we make the time for the things that are the most important to us, right? And, I have already looked up some churches that will be in our area using the 9Marks site. That is truly my first item of business once we get out there. We have a housing area picked out with excellent traditional public schools. It is only a matter of time before the “perfect” house (for us) presents itself. I am absolutely STOKED! (Incase you could not tell.) T-minus eight months and 27 days before we start our drive to our new home 1,790 miles away! And that is 1,020 miles closer to my family! Thinking about this makes my heart glad.

Ultimately, I know, I can plan all day long but God will direct my steps (Proverbs 16:9).
3 Trust in the LORD, and do good;
dwell in the land and befriend faithfulness.
4 Delight yourself in the LORD,
and he will give you the desires of your heart.
5 Commit your way to the LORD;
trust in him, and he will act.
6 He will bring forth your righteousness as the light,
and your justice as the noonday.
7 Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for him;
(Psalm 37:3-7. ESV.)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails