Friday, September 19, 2014

It Has Been Already: 50 Things I Am Going to Miss About California (#50-#49)

In celebration of our move from California to Texas, I am going to do a list of “50 Things I am Going to Miss About California”. California (CA) is amazing and beautiful in many ways (as is each state) and I am truly going to hate to say “good-bye” to some things, here. So, I guess being we have eight months and twenty –six days left, I will break down the list little by little to stretch it over our remaining time, here. Hence, I will do one or two each week (going in reverse starting with #50). Now, without further ado:

50 Things I Am Going to Miss About California
(Drum roll please.)

50. Earthquakes (NOT!)

In the sixteen years I have lived in CA (Southern and Northern), I have experienced two earthquakes at roughly the same intensity. Actually, about the same everything. Both times the quake occurred between 3:00 a.m. and 4:00 a.m. I woke to the building and the blinds on my windows moving. The first one, though, was more of a “rolling” feeling while the second was more of a “rumbling”. Both times, nothing of ours was damaged, thankfully. Though earthquakes are very scary and cause great damage, injuries, and death, they are a mind blowing act of God. Each time I realized how small and insignificant I am (like a speck of dust is compared to me). When the earth is moving and there is nothing you can do about it, it is very humbling, intense, and thought provoking. What if the house crumbled beneath us? As a child growing up in Florida (FL) I was always taught what to do in the event of a hurricane. I was prepared for and knowledgeable of those. But an earthquake? I had no idea what to do! Do I stand in a doorway? I’m on the second floor, do I stay here? Do I move to the first floor? Do I get on my bed incase the floor falls out beneath me? I cannot outrun this, what am I supposed to do? You know? It is an experience unlike any other.

49. Traffic (Nope, not really.)

Like Baltimore at rush hour or even Hawaii, there are times when it seems everyone and their brother are on the freeway…especially around holidays! Sometimes while driving the kids to their private school I have to take the back roads when the freeway starts getting backed up. At times it is road work and others it is an accident. (I am always prayerful no one is injured when accidents occur, of course.) When we lived in the Los Angeles (L.A.) area, I had to allow myself two (2) hours to get to an audition because of traffic! And that’s just on the freeways! San Francisco is grid locked at certain times of the day. THAT is super frustrating. I took Electronic Arts classes for web design at a school in San Francisco (about 13 or 14 years ago) and trying to get out of the city at “rush hour” was a nightmare. There seems to be a “me first” policy there. One time a lady just kept honking her horn. She did this for an insane amount of time. The traffic was not moving. All the vehicles plus stop lights equals mayhem. And there she was, in the middle of it all, honking her stinking horn. It was at that time I wished I was Godzilla and could eat her car!

Well, here are the first (or rather last) two on my list. 48 more to come, and I promise they are not all like these…a few, but I honestly am going to feel the absence of some things once we are gone.

4A generation goes, and a generation comes,
but the earth remains forever.
5 The sun rises, and the sun goes down,
and hastens to the place where it rises.
6 The wind blows to the south
and goes around to the north;
around and around goes the wind,
and on its circuits the wind returns.
7All streams run to the sea,
but the sea is not full;
to the place where the streams flow,
there they flow again.
8All things are full of weariness;
a man cannot utter it;
the eye is not satisfied with seeing,
nor the ear filled with hearing.
9 What has been is what will be,
and what has been done is what will be done,
and there is nothing new under the sun.
10Is there a thing of which it is said,
“See, this is new”?
It has been already
in the ages before us.
11There is no remembrance of former things,
nor will there be any remembrance
of later things yet to be
among those who come after.
(Ecclesiastes 1:4-11. ESV.)

(Click here to go to #48 & #47.)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails