Thursday, September 11, 2014

The Eye Cannot Say to the Hand, “I Have No Need of You”

Today, I attended my first ballet class in years…four years (give or take). My body was screaming at me, “WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU DOING?!” And, I about hit muscle failure in my legs, toward the end. I have a very bad habit of “over doing it” my first time back after a break. I have, honestly, taken time off before however never for this long. But, a ballerina never forgets. There were two ladies in the class who had stopped doing ballet for 30 years! It was amazing to watch them in class! I swear, (and say again) a ballerina never forgets! The body and muscles are programed…like riding a bike, I guess. I hear it is the same for gymnasts. The human body astonishes me, greatly!
13For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother’s womb. 14I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. (Psalm 139:13-14. ESV.)
It is a fine oiled machine that depends on every working part…especially the ones we don’t see or think about regularly. It makes me think of the body of Christ,
12For just as the body is one and has many members, and all the members of the body, though many, are one body, so it is with Christ. 13For in one Spirit we were all baptized into one body—Jews or Greeks, slaves or free—and all were made to drink of one Spirit.

14For the body does not consist of one member but of many. 15If the foot should say, “Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body,” that would not make it any less a part of the body. 16And if the ear should say, “Because I am not an eye, I do not belong to the body,” that would not make it any less a part of the body.17If the whole body were an eye, where would be the sense of hearing? If the whole body were an ear, where would be the sense of smell? 18But as it is, God arranged the members in the body, each one of them, as he chose. 19If all were a single member, where would the body be? 20As it is, there are many parts, yet one body.

21The eye cannot say to the hand, “I have no need of you,” nor again the head to the feet, “I have no need of you.” 22On the contrary, the parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable,23and on those parts of the body that we think less honorable we bestow the greater honor, and our unpresentable parts are treated with greater modesty,24which our more presentable parts do not require. But God has so composed the body, giving greater honor to the part that lacked it, 25that there may be no division in the body, but that the members may have the same care for one another. 26If one member suffers, all suffer together; if one member is honored, all rejoice together.

27Now you are the body of Christ and individually members of it.
(1 Corinthians 12:12-26. ESV.)

Ballet is my true love. I was asked if I wanted to be a “Party Guest” for this dance school’s production of “The Nutcracker”. I really do, however I also want to be fair to my family. Performing is a LOT of work…the schedule can be intense. There are rehearsals, dress rehearsals, and of course the show times themselves. Not to mention, “The Nutcracker” is generally performed around Thanksgiving and Christmas time. The rehearsal schedule sounds okay (from what I know of it) but I need to find out show times and for how long this production is running. If it is just a weekend, it most likely is doable. But, when I was a child, “The Nutcracker” productions in which I used to participate ran for WEEKS! So, we’ll see. Okay, time is up for now. Must run off to the next item of business, today.

P.S. Just for fun and giggles, an old dance competition of mine is below. The dancer I once was:
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails