Wednesday, October 15, 2014

The High Mountains are for the Wild Goats: 50 Things I am Going to Miss About California (#43-42)

In celebration of our move from California to Texas, I am listing 50 things I am going to miss about this state. So far, I covered:
50. Earthquakes
49. Traffic

48. The freeways
47. The crazy expensive cost of living

46. The Oakland A’s
45. The Sacramento River Cats
44. The Stockton Ports


Which brings me to the next two:

43. Disney’s California Adventure Park
When one of our kiddos was about six months old, hubs suggested we drive to Anaheim, California (CA) and take the children to Disneyland (which I will cover later at #26) and California Adventure. So, why is California Adventure at #43 instead of closer to #1? It is NOT because I did not like the park. I did. It was a lot of fun! But, to be honest, I have only been there once in the sixteen (16) years I have lived in CA. And, it is not nearly as sentimental to me as Disneyland (or Disney World). I am sure there are many who have never been to a Disney theme park. Truly, I am grateful for the opportunity. Yet, in the scheme of this countdown, I am placing California Adventure at #43. I am certain the kids had a delightful time and my hope is they remember at least a little bit of it. (They were quite young.) Would it be enjoyable to hit it one last time on our way out of dodge? Yes, but I will not be disappointed if we do not. (I highly doubt we will.) But still, I give it two thumbs up.

42. Hiking to the Summit of Mt. Diablo
Back in April 2014, a friend of mine asked if I was interested in hiking Yosemite Half Dome (which I have listed at #16 of my 50). Not knowing anything about Half Dome (or hiking for that matter) I accepted her challenge. We had until June 15, 2014 to prepare. As a training method it was suggested to me, by another friend, to practice hiking to the summit of Mt. Diablo. Our first trek at Mt. Diablo was May 10, 2014 and I wanted to complete it four times before heading to Half Dome…which I did. It may seem a bit over the top but I am so glad I took that advice! Half Dome was a beast! And, so it Mt. Diablo. They call it “devil” for a reason. The terrain is rocky and “slippery”. My first trip to the summit I was wearing the WRONG shoes! I quickly fixed that for the next time. Any recommendation I would give to those who desire to mosey to the summit of Mt. Diablo is to BRING PLENTY OF WATER! Especially, during drought time in CA because the water fountains will be off and there are no rivers or streams along the way! Also, if your body begins to tell you to stop and go back down, heed the warning! A lot of people get stuck because they do not listen to their body…they get dehydrated, heat exhaustion or sunstroke, etc. All in all, Mt. Diablo is definitely an experience on which I am glad I did not miss out.

14He causes the grass to grow for the cattle,
And vegetation for the labor of man,
So that he may bring forth food from the earth,
15And wine which makes man's heart glad,
So that he may make his face glisten with oil,
And food which sustains man's heart.
16The trees of the LORD drink their fill,
The cedars of Lebanon which He planted,
17Where the birds build their nests,
And the stork, whose home is the fir trees.
18The high mountains are for the wild goats;
The cliffs are a refuge for the shephanim.
19He made the moon for the seasons;
The sun knows the place of its setting.
20You appoint darkness and it becomes night,
In which all the beasts of the forest prowl about.
21The young lions roar after their prey
And seek their food from God.
22When the sun rises they withdraw
And lie down in their dens.
(Psalms 104:14-22. NASB.)

(Click here for #41 - #39.)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails