Friday, October 03, 2014

You Open Your Hand, They are Satisfied with Good: 50 Things I am Going to Miss About California (#46-#44)

In celebration of our move from California to Texas, I am listing 50 things I am going to miss about this state. So far, I covered:
50. Earthquakes
49. Traffic

48. The freeways
47. The crazy expensive cost of living


Which brings me to the next three I am going to do together (and you’ll see why in a moment).

46. The Oakland A’s
To be honest, I used to think baseball was incredibly boring. Even when my kiddos were in t-ball and little league, I was more interested in just watching them run around than the game itself. But, over the last four or five years, I have actually started enjoying the sport. The Oakland A’s are my #1 favorite team (and no, it is not because of the movie). There is just something about them. The flow of their game. The talent of the players. The meet and greets when they sign stuff (especially for children). I cannot quite put my finger on it, but I like them.

45. The Sacramento River Cats
The Sacramento River Cats are the triple-A team affiliated with the Oakland A’s. One year we went on a guided tour of the River Cats stadium (which included the history of the team) with the kiddos’ charter school. Afterward, we were given four tickets to the game of our choice, during the season. Did I mention how great the seats were? We were close to the field, next to the team dugout! Just watch out for the retractable seats! If you stand up for a second (with the intent of sitting right back down again) just know, the seat will not be there. (You have to pull it back down, again.) I was reminded of that the hard way.

44. The Stockton Ports
The Stockton Ports are the single-A team affiliated with the Oakland A’s. Each year we attend the “Faith Night” Stockton Ports game. Though the games run a bit longer than a River Cats or A’s game, sitting in a block of seats among brothers and sisters in Christ usually keeps one pretty entertained. The first year we went I was uncertain as to what to expect. Now, I find myself looking forward to the event. If you are ever in the area, I highly recommend this night of fun, the body of Christ, and baseball.

23Man goes forth to his work
And to his labor until evening.
24O LORD, how many are Your works!
In wisdom You have made them all;
The earth is full of Your possessions.
25There is the sea, great and broad,
In which are swarms without number,
Animals both small and great.
26There the ships move along,
And Leviathan, which You have formed to sport in it.
27They all wait for You
To give them their food in due season.
28You give to them, they gather it up;
You open Your hand, they are satisfied with good.
29You hide Your face, they are dismayed;
You take away their spirit, they expire
And return to their dust.
30You send forth Your Spirit, they are created;
And You renew the face of the ground.
(Psalms 104:23-30. NASB.)

(Click here to go to #43 & #42.)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails