Tuesday, December 02, 2014

In All Circumstances Take Up the Shield of Faith, Praying at All Times in the Spirit

This world is unpredictable and, at times, hostile to God’s word. But, I feel, that does not give anyone an excuse not to follow scripture. When hubs and I were first married, he traveled and was gone three or four months at a time. However, just because he was absent did not give me permission to rebel against the word of God. I stayed faithful and steadfast with the strength of Christ. Whenever he has to go out of town on business (or work long hours), presently, it remains the same. No matter what, regardless of any other factors (good, bad, or indifferent), my number one priority is to glorify God.

I believe the same can be said for when someone (a loved one or stranger) sins against us. We are not called to “forget”. No one, no matter how hard he/she tries, is capable of erasing memories from his/her mind. It is impossible. It is my opinion, not even God “forgets”. But, we are called to forgive. You see, regardless of the situation, we are to remain constantly standing on the rock of God, Christ Jesus, and His commandments.

The bible is full of examples of nearly every circumstance of which you can think. Saul killed innocent people who were most likely survived by friends or family members. Has your loved one been murdered? David took Bathsheba as his own then had her husband put on the front lines of battle to die. Has someone committed adultery against you or forced him/herself on you? Abigail had a “badly behaved” husband. God only knows what he did to her. Have you been abused or maltreated by an individual? Delilah deceived Sampson and she was the death of him. Are you being lied to or cheated? (These just name a few and scratch the surface.) It is my opinion God gave us all of the answers (big and small) in His love letter to us. It might take some searching through the text and prayers of wisdom, but you will find it if you look.
7 “Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find;knock, and it will be opened to you. 8For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks it will be opened. 9Or which one of you, if his son asks him for bread, will give him a stone? 10Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a serpent? 11If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask him! (Matthew 7:7-11. ESV.)

Whenever I am faced by something…a life choice, a temptation, a difficult decision, strife, tribulation, a problem to solve, etc. I ALWAYS ask myself if I am behaving in manner consistent with God’s instruction. In other words, am I sinning? If my choice is “unorthodox”, out of the “norm” (out of the box), or difficult for others to understand…am I doing the “wrong” thing? No. I learned many years ago to NOT listen to men.
8 It is better to take refuge in the LORD
than to trust in man.
(Psalm 118:8. ESV.)
As well meaning and with the best of intentions, I (and all human beings) have limited knowledge. We cannot see the big picture or all of the details. There is so much information missing. Yet, God knows and the Holy Spirit directs us.

God NEVER deviates from His word. So, I encourage you and myself to do likewise. And, pray…ALWAYS! Put on the full armor of God.
16In all circumstances take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil one;17and take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God, 18praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. (Ephesians 6:16-18. ESV.)

Think "outside the box", not "outside the bible". (Okay, that's lame but you get what I mean.)

(Photo Information.)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails