Monday, December 29, 2014

No Temptation Has Overtaken You That is Not Common to Man

Lately, I have been mentioning unhealthy, toxic relationships I am currently phasing out of my life. To be honest, all of them began with sin so, really, why would God bless them? Further, the repercussions (of said sin) have been hellacious! (Please know, I do not take this lightly. I would never distance myself from something or someone simply because I could not be bothered or he/she/it “rubbed me the wrong way”. The unions about which I speak are unkind, ungodly, manipulative, controlling, oppressive, ugly, verbally (and sometimes even physically) abusive, and very unhealthy…and have been such for nearly 20 years.)

(Side bar: Regarding Hell, Tommy Clayton from “Grace to You” states,
…hell is not a state of mind or a hard life on this earth. Your state of mind can change; your circumstances can improve. Hell never changes, never improves. Hell is not chastisement; it’s everlasting, insufferable punishment at the hands of an angry God. (Clayton, Tommy. Grace to You. “The Truth About Hell”. 2011. http://www.gty.org/blog/B110430/the-truth-about-hell.)
I do not want to blur the line with my analogy of “hellacious” strife, etc. in life. This particular post is not about Hell. I am simply using it to paint a picture, this time. For the record, though, I do believe Hell is a real place. One about which I tell/warn those I love. Unfortunately, I feel some of them have come to the conclusion, if that is truly God’s character (to throw people into eternal suffering) they want nothing to do with Him.
Satan continues his efforts to make sin less offensive, heaven less appealing, hell less horrific, and the gospel less urgent. (Clayton, Tommy. Grace to You. “The Truth About Hell”. 2011. http://www.gty.org/blog/B110430/the-truth-about-hell.)
But, that is not what this post is about, either.)

It is about how God’s grace is sufficient (2 Corinthians 12:9).
13No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it. (1 Corinthians 10:13. ESV.)
“The way of escape”? What is that, exactly? G. Gabriel Powell of “Grace to You” offers the following explanation,
This makes me think of the paratrooper dropped into enemy territory who needs to make his way back to safety. He has no trap door or tunnels to crawl through; he won’t be rescued by helicopter or beamed to safety. He has to find a way through enemy territory.

In the same way, God has provided, in every situation, a path for you to take. There is always a choice of roads to travel. When faced with the temptation to sin, you can choose to succumb or you can choose to resist and flee. When you are confronted with a difficult ordeal, you can succumb to despair and anxiety or you can endure with the strength He provides. Whatever your situation, God’s Word will light the way of escape and show you the path to follow to get you through the situation and out of enemy territory.
(Powell, G. Gabriel. Grace to You. “I Can’t Handle This”. 2014. https://www.gty.org/Resources/Print/Blog/B110308.)

I have been walking a very difficult path for nearly 20 years. (I have no one but myself to blame.) And, there have been a multitude of times, during those years, when I felt I could not handle it. I wanted to rebel, yell, scream, sin, etc. (which only would have brought on further horrible consequences). So, I have been sticking to God’s word (with the strength of Christ). And, an escape has been provided…which, of course, I am taking (with gusto)! I am almost “back to safety”! Thank you, Lord!
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails