Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Resist the Devil, and He Will Flee From You. Draw Near to God, and He Will Draw Near to You

Do you have a “the worst mistake I ever made” moment in your life? I imagine most of us do. I am not sure about you, but I have made NUMEROUS mistakes over the years. One, however, vastly exceeds the rest! What is “the worst mistake I ever made”? I went against God’s word. It seemed small, at the time, but no sin is little. ALL sin is VERY serious to God. And mine, though seemingly tiny, came with MASSIVE consequences! You see, as someone once told me years ago, sin only gets worse! That feels so true, I cannot even begin to tell you!

So, why go against God’s word? That is just asking for trouble, right? YES, it is! DON’T DO IT!!! But I, in my prideful youth, did not heed the warning. I know,
12as far as the east is from the west, so far does he remove our transgressions from us. (Psalm 103:12. ESV.)

(B)but in love you have delivered my life
from the pit of destruction,
(C)for you have cast all my sins
behind your back.
(Isaiah 38:17. ESV.)

(C)You will cast all our sins
into the depths of the sea.
(Micah 7:19. ESV.)
But the consequences are still intense.

The point here is this, I KNEW better but I did it anyway. I wish I could say, “Well, if I knew then what I know now…” But, I don’t know. The most important thing is obedience to God…so I do not think anything would have deterred me at that time in my life given I was (VERY foolishly) rebellious. Ick! I am such an idiot! John MacArthur from “Grace to You” stated the following,
Now, temptation works like that. As long as we stare at it...as long as we look at the baubles or the bangles that Satan dangles in front of our eyes...as long as we entertain ourselves on that and feed on it, we're susceptible, obviously. And temptation is a very common problem for all of us, and perhaps, victory over temptation is not so common…. The problem is we entertain ourselves by looking at the temptation rather than staring into the Master's face. (MacArthur, John. Grace to You. “How to Overcome Temptation”. 1970. http://www.gty.org/resources/sermons/1205/how-to-overcome-temptation?
Very well said, Pastor John MacArthur. Time for me to concentrate harder on my “Master’s” face!

7Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. 8Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. 9Be wretched and mourn and weep. Let your laughter be turned to mourning and your joy to gloom. 10Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will exalt you. (James 4:7-10. ESV.)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails