Tuesday, December 30, 2014

The Earth is the LORD’s and the Fullness Thereof: 50 Things I Am Going to Miss About California (#38-#36)

In celebration of our move from California to Texas, I am listing 50 things I am going to miss about this state. So far, I covered:
50. Earthquakes
49. Traffic

48. The freeways
47. The crazy expensive cost of living

46. The Oakland A’s
45. The Sacramento River Cats
44. The Stockton Ports

43. Disney’s California Adventure Park
42. Hiking to the Summit of Mt. Diablo

41. San Diego, CA
40. Los Angeles, CA
39. Long Beach, CA


Which brings me to the next THREE:

38. The Redwood Trees
Though I have not been to the “Avenue of the Giants” through Humboldt Redwoods State Park. I have been to see some of the Redwoods at Big Sur. I am told the Coast Redwood (Sequoia sempervirens) are not nearly as magnificent as the Redwoods of “Avenue of the Giants”, however I feel they are quite a sight to behold just the same! My only regret (that nags at me to this day) is not taking my dad (who really wanted to see the Redwoods) into the forest of them at Big Sur (on his last visit to Cali). I did drive by them but we did not walk among them. He most likely is not going to get out here, again, before we move.

The first time I ever went to Big Sur, hubs was doing a portable power job for a party or wedding. We seemingly went deep into the massive Redwoods which remind me of the trees in “Lord of the Rings” and we were like the Hobbits. The sound of their leaves rustling and branches cracking as they swayed (or even as they stood still) was enchanting. Their colossal size is (hopefully) forever burned into my mind. In my opinion, the Redwoods are a “must see”! Each states has its charm and alluring qualities!

37. The Beautiful Drive Along Highway 1
Have you ever seen Hearst Castle (which I will cover more extensively at #32) or traveled highway 46 (which was included on James Dean’s last ride? When we did, there was a convenient store which claimed to be “James Dean’s Last Stop”.) But, I am getting ahead of myself, a little. We started at Monterey (about which I will get into more detail at #24), followed Highway 1 (Pacific Coast Highway), through Carmel and Big Sur, past Hearst Castle, along highway 46 to the 5 freeway and on to Los Angeles. The highway 1 route is simply exquisite! The road winds around and the cliff drops off (on one side) to the Pacific below. The waves crash upon the rocks and the view is nothing short of breath taking. (Each time I have made this drive the visibility was great and it was not overcast. If you want an idea of the scenery, just Google “Pfeiffer State Park”.) The redwoods tower over general stores, small restaurants, and cabins. The sea lions bask in the sun on the coast near Hearst Castle. And a lone convenient store claims to be the “Last Stop”, for James Dean, on hwy 46.

I have never stayed overnight in Big Sur. I believe, if memory serves me well, we did stay in Carmel one night (when hubs was on a work trip--- so long ago I can scarcely remember it--- back when he was a lowly “technician” for a portable power company. He used to do quite a few jobs at Pebble Beach).

36. Big Sur/ Carmel
Our last trip through Carmel and Big Sur was circa 2009, so I suppose we are due for another visit before we move. Perhaps with our moving truck and stuff as we head out of dodge, on our way to Los Angeles. Originally, I figured three days to make the drive (mainly 12 hour days… Northern Cali to Phoenix – day one, Phoenix to New Mexico – day two, and New Mexico to TX – day three. That’s what I did on my road trip across country circa 2008). But, I guess we should take our time and see some sights (and friends) along the way.

While reminiscing about my visits to Carmel/Big Sur, I stumbled across a fabulous article on the “Huffington Post” website. It is called “14 Things You Need to Know Before Driving California’s Big Sur” and it can be found at http://www.huffingtonpost.com/David-Landsel/california-big-sur-driving-the-coast_b_5095299.html. I feel writer David Landsel covers some great information worth viewing, especially if you think you might want to plan a trip!

1 The earth is the LORD’s and the fullness thereof,
the world and those who dwell therein,
2for he has founded it upon the seas
and established it upon the rivers.

3 Who shall ascend the hill of the LORD?
And who shall stand in his holy place?
4 He who has clean hands and a pure heart,
who does not lift up his soul to what is false
and does not swear deceitfully.
5He will receive blessing from the LORD
and righteousness from the God of his salvation.
6Such is the generation of those who seek him,
who seek the face of the God of Jacob. Selah

7 Lift up your heads, O gates!
And be lifted up, O ancient doors,
that the King of glory may come in.
8Who is this King of glory?
The LORD, strong and mighty,
the LORD, mighty in battle!
9Lift up your heads, O gates!
And lift them up, O ancient doors,
that the King of glory may come in.
10Who is this King of glory?
The LORD of hosts,
he is the King of glory!
(Pslam 24. ESV.)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails