Wednesday, January 07, 2015

These Words I Command You Today Shall Be On Your Heart

Day three of replications.
I never would have thought
to wear a nice scarf with
sweatpants.
I love music. My absolute favorite musical is “Phantom of the Opera”. I tune in to Christ centered radio and I enjoy singing with the praise team at church. But, contrary to popular opinion, music is not one of the ways God speaks to us (according to the bible). Uh oh, did I just lose you as a reader? I hope not. It is not uncommon that I am listening to the radio when I hear a caller profess, “God spoke to me through your music.” And, I get it! I really do! I have felt similarly, myself, a few times. Maybe I am having a rough day and then that perfect song gets played. You know, the one that says exactly what I feel I need to hear, at the moment. However, after listening to Pastor Sean’s message last week, I now know the five ways God does speak to us.
He speaks through:
1. His Son.
2. His Word.
3. Our circumstances.
4. The church/ body of Christ.
5. Prayer.

So, I have to ask myself, “Why am I so stuck on this?” Every week I listen to the sermon. Generally, I take notes and think about things for a bit. However, this week I have listened to it four times! Why does God keep drawing me to it? I need to focus on the scripture (God’s Word) throughout it.

God does not communicate with people through my words. So why blog? Why try to inspire and encourage others? Because, using verses from the Word of God never returns void. That is the important part!
10 “For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven
and do not return there but water the earth,
making it bring forth and sprout,
giving seed to the sower and bread to the eater,
11so shall my word be that goes out from my mouth;
it shall not return to me empty,
but it shall accomplish that which I purpose,
and shall succeed in the thing for which I sent it.
12 “For you shall go out in joy
and be led forth in peace;
the mountains and the hills before you
shall break forth into singing,
and all the trees of the field shall clap their hands.
(Isaiah 55:10-12. ESV.)

When I was in the third grade, I was given a bible at church which I read diligently. The words and their meaning did not always make sense to me but I tried to comprehend them. In high school, especially, my whole heart belonged to God. I did not even date, really. I did not have time nor desire for such foolishness. Remaining pure throughout high school was easy for me. I wonder if it will be easy for my children, as well. I hope so! I want their heart to be filled with God so much they feel satisfied until He brings each of them someone to marry. I need to remember to use God’s Words, when I talk to them, more than my own…everyday!
6And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart.7You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise.8You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. 9You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates. (Deuteronomy 6:6-9. ESV.)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails