Tuesday, February 03, 2015

Let the Earth Bring Forth Living Creatures According to Their Kinds

I read (or heard) something this past weekend, and now I am trying to find it again but cannot. The verses have to do with Jesus being the “lamb” of God and innocent like animals. In the Old Testament days, “innocent animals” were sacrificed for the sins of man. Then, of course, Christ Jesus came as the ultimate sacrifice to reconcile us to God.

All of that I have known for as long as I can remember. What stuck out to me was the animals being described as “innocent”. I never thought about that before. I know they are incapable of sin but I did not think much passed that. Until yesterday morning. As I was driving home I noticed a deer on the side of the road. Whenever I see a dead animal it makes me feel a bit of sadness yet, I never wondered why. As I rolled everything around in my mind, yesterday, it made sense it is because animals do not do anything wrong. They live by their instincts (to survive) but they are not malicious, deceitful, etc. They are pure. God created them for man:
24 And God said, “Let the earth bring forth living creatures according to their kinds—livestock and creeping things and beasts of the earth according to their kinds.” And it was so. 25 And God made the beasts of the earth according to their kinds and the livestock according to their kinds, and everything that creeps on the ground according to its kind. And God saw that it was good.

26 Then God said, “Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. And let them have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over the livestock and over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.”

27 So God created man in his own image,
in the image of God he created him;
male and female he created them.

28 And God blessed them. And God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth and subdue it, and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over every living thing that moves on the earth.” 29 And God said, “Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the face of all the earth, and every tree with seed in its fruit. You shall have them for food.30 And to every beast of the earth and to every bird of the heavens and to everything that creeps on the earth, everything that has the breath of life, I have given every green plant for food.” And it was so. 31 And God saw everything that he had made, and behold, it was very good. And there was evening and there was morning, the sixth day.
(Genesis 1:24-31. ESV.)

So, it seems to me the plants were for food and the animals were for man to enjoy. Which, I do, personally. I have a “zoo” at my house (3 dogs and 4 lizards). The first death did not occur until after Adam and Eve sinned. So, I assume God made everything and intended there to be no death. Maybe that is why I feel sadness when an animal dies.

11 But when Christ appeared as a high priest of the good things that have come, then through the greater and more perfect tent (not made with hands, that is, not of this creation) 12 he entered once for all into the holy places, not by means of the blood of goats and calves but by means of his own blood, thus securing an eternal redemption. 13 For if the blood of goats and bulls, and the sprinkling of defiled persons with the ashes of a heifer, sanctify for the purification of the flesh, 14 how much more will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without blemish to God, purify our conscience from dead works to serve the living God.

15 Therefore he is the mediator of a new covenant, so that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance, since a death has occurred that redeems them from the transgressions committed under the first covenant.
(Hebrews 9:11-15. ESV.)

Do not forget to tell me your story!
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails