Friday, February 06, 2015

Sing to the LORD, All the Earth: 50 Things I Am Going to Miss About California (#33 & #32)

In celebration of our move from California to Texas, I am listing 50 things I am going to miss about this state. So far, I covered:
50. Earthquakes
49. Traffic

48. The freeways
47. The crazy expensive cost of living

46. The Oakland A’s
45. The Sacramento River Cats
44. The Stockton Ports

43. Disney’s California Adventure Park
42. Hiking to the Summit of Mt. Diablo

41. San Diego, CA
40. Los Angeles, CA
39. Long Beach, CA

38. The Redwood Trees
37. The Beautiful Drive Along Highway 1
36. Big Sur/ Carmel

35. Boating on the Sacramento River, Lake Berryessa, and Folsom Lake
34. Wine Country


Which brings me to the next TWO:

33. Big Bear Mountain
Big Bear is actually one of my absolute favorite places in California. I looked forward to each time I got to go when we lived in Long Beach. I do not think I still have pictures of it. I wish I did, though. It is truly beautiful. It is one of the few “cold” places I enjoy in the winter time…if you can believe that! The town is so quaint and the people are friendly. The lake is peaceful, tranquil, and therapeutic in nature. Even if one day I forget what it looked like, I pray I never forget how it made me feel being there. It felt like a comforting hug from someone I dearly love. Or warm, cozy clothes and blanket on a cold morning. Or chicken noodle soup when I am under the weather. It was soothing, warm, and welcoming.

I first had the pleasure of going to Big Bear when hubs was a portable power and HVAC technician and did a job at the ski resort. He was running power for something, though I cannot remember what, exactly. I think we stayed at the Robin Hood hotel during our short visit. I could mosey around the main stretch I used to walk alone--- I am trying to remember the name of it--- all day. There were shops along the way, to and from the lake. Maybe it was “Pine Knot Avenue”. It is hard to remember, it seems so long ago. Just reminiscing makes me what to go there, tomorrow, for the weekend! Reno is a lot closer but does not have any of Big Bear’s charm. Arnold might come closer, in comparison. Maybe even Tahoe but I have not been there enough to really say. Anyway, if this was a list of the top places to check out in California, I would place Big Bear at number one.

32. Hearst Castle
Hearst Castle is located right off of the scenic highway 1. I stopped by, once, on my way to Los Angeles circa 2009. Admittedly, we did not get tickets and visit the castle however we did view it from afar. During a road trip in 2003, hubs and most of our kiddos (I was not allowed to travel because I was expecting our youngest) stopped there for a visit. The Army Kid took some beautiful pictures (as photography was the Army Kid’s interest at the time). I searched for digital copies but was unable to find them. Most of our stuff is packed up, so I cannot even get the hard copies. But, if you are interested in planning a trip to see Hearst Castle, you can find out more information on their website: http://hearstcastle.org/ . It is quite a sight.

1 Oh sing to the LORD a new song;
sing to the LORD, all the earth!
2Sing to the LORD, bless his name;
tell of his salvation from day to day.
3Declare his glory among the nations,
his marvelous works among all the peoples!
4For great is the LORD, and greatly to be praised;
he is to be feared above all gods.
5For all the gods of the peoples are worthless idols,
but the LORD made the heavens.
6Splendor and majesty are before him;
strength and beauty are in his sanctuary.
(Psalm 96:1-6. ESV.)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails