Tuesday, February 10, 2015

When I Look at Your Heavens, The Moon and the Stars, Which You Have Set in Place

Transit of Venus across the sun in 2004.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
File:20040608_Venus_Transit.JPG
The first real progress came in accurately measuring the size of the planet we live on. Eratosthenes did this with a dramatic application of geometric reasoning around 200 B.C. He was a researcher and librarian at the great library in Alexandria, Egypt, where books containing much of the knowledge of the ancient world were stored (http://www.teachastronomy.com/astropedia/article.aspx?qid=418)
My mind is drawn to “200 B.C.” More specifically the “B.C.” B.C. – Before Christ. And, A.D. – Anno Domini: Year of Our Lord, also enters my mind. These are used globally…in various fields. My reading, right now, is in Astronomy, and the terms are there.

Does that ever get you thinking? I am a follower of Christ, so I am honored to say, “Before Christ” or “Year of Our Lord”. How interesting it is to me these systems of measuring time have been used for so long and continue, still today, when other things like “One nation under God” and “In God we trust” have been questioned and individuals fight to remove them from our Pledge of Allegiance and money. We use Christ Jesus to measure time. He must be very important, then, right?
1For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven: (Ecclesiastes 3:1. ESV.)

When did God create space? Does space take up all the emptiness that existed before the creation of the earth and heavens…
1 In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth. 2 The earth was without form and void, and darkness was over the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters.

3 And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. 4 And God saw that the light was good. And God separated the light from the darkness. 5 God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And there was evening and there was morning, the first day.
(Genesis 1:1-5. ESV.)
… or is it just a “buffer” or “chasm” between us and God?
25 But Abraham said, ‘Child, remember that you in your lifetime received your good things, and Lazarus in like manner bad things; but now he is comforted here, and you are in anguish. 26 And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been fixed, in order that those who would pass from here to you may not be able, and none may cross from there to us.’ (Luke 16:25-26. ESV.)

Growing up in the 80’s, one of my absolute favorite movies was “Space Camp”! I just bought a used copy of it online for my kiddos. I think the Little Chef will LOVE it. Like me, when I was a child, the Little Chef really wants to attend “Space Camp”. I do not even know if it still exists but I would like to look into it…though I am sure it would be crazy expensive!

3 When I look at your heavens, the work of your fingers,
the moon and the stars, which you have set in place,
4 what is man that you are mindful of him,
and the son of man that you care for him?
5 Yet you have made him a little lower than the heavenly beings
and crowned him with glory and honor.
6 You have given him dominion over the works of your hands;
you have put all things under his feet,
(Psalm 8:3-6. ESV.)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails