Wednesday, April 08, 2015

Limited in Service: Female Pastor?

When I was a child, I wanted to be a pastor/ minister. I felt God’s pull upon my heart so strong I wanted nothing more than to serve Him in such a capacity. I just knew that was what God had in store for me.

It was not until I was about 30 years old (give or take a couple years) I realized God was never calling me to be a preacher/ teacher. He never goes against His own word (which clearly states women cannot be leaders over men).
12 I do not permit a woman to teach or to exercise authority over a man; rather, she is to remain quiet. 13 For Adam was formed first, then Eve; 14 and Adam was not deceived, but the woman was deceived and became a transgressor. 15 Yet she will be saved through childbearing—if they continue in faith and love and holiness, with self-control. (1 Timothy 2:12-15. ESV.)
I am not offended…most likely because the Holy Spirit within me is not. If I was walking in the flesh (instead of the spirit) I, personally, would probably be highly insulted.

So, where does that leave me…a person, born female, who desires with all her heart to serve Her God (and Christ Jesus) in a profound way?

Well, as always, I have to look to the word of God. All of us, male or female, adult or child, regardless of nationality or race, etc. are called to proclaim His word.
18And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19Go therefore and make disciples ofall nations, baptizing them inthe name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.” (Matthew 28:18-20. ESV.)

Further, I could possibly be a deacon because unlike elders, deacons do not have to be “able to teach” (1 Timothy 3:1-13, Titus 1:6-9)…but that might be a stretch. I can teach children and other women (Titus 2:3-5). According to 1 Corinthians 11:5 it looks as though I can pray publicly and prophesy. And, there does not appear to be a limit on spiritual gifts.

In answering the above question, “So where does that leave me?” Pastor John Piper offers the following:
My answer is: 75 percent of the seven billion people in the world—I just checked this to make sure this is a true statement—75 percent of the seven billion people in the world are women or [children] under the age of 15. They have limitless needs of every kind, right? Physical needs and education needs and spiritual needs and relational needs and parenting needs and needs for rescue and endless needs that they have. And my response is: Do anything you want. Care about them. Care about them physically and especially eternally and minister in whatever way you can. ( By John Piper. ©2015 Desiring God Foundation. Website: desiringGod.org. http://www.desiringgod.org/interviews/the-world-needs-women-ministers.)

Also, he wrote a book called What is the Difference? which has a section in the back with a list of 80 kinds of ministries that are open to women. I guess I will be checking that out to see if anything strikes a chord with me. For now, I will stick with wife & mother (of course), full time student working toward a law degree, part time substitute teacher, and blogger. Thank you, Lord.

(Photo Information.)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails