Friday, October 02, 2015

Darkness has once again captured the attention of American citizens. But from where did this darkness come and how did it grow into something that cost lives? Who knew the 26 year old gunman and how would they have described his character leading up to the moment he took lives? Someone knew him. Perhaps the internet had heard of his plan. Do you pay attention to people around you as you go about your day? Do you believe and assist people when they speak of concern they have regarding the character of another? Yes, we are not to gossip, but don’t forget, we are also called to be wise.

7 The Lord said to Satan, “From where have you come?” Satan answered the Lord and said, “From going to and fro on the earth, and from walking up and down on it.” (Job 1:7. ESV.)

My children and I are trained in self-defense. Does that mean we would win every fight or situation in which we might be placed? No. But it does mean God gave us knowledge so we would have a plan. We would know how to assess the situation and we have a supply of “tools” at our disposal. I highly recommend everyone learn how to protect themselves. I feel we can only take responsibility for ourselves. It is my opinion we cannot control various elements and therefore have to have knowledge of what to do to combat it should we come up against it. Aside from God, Himself, who else can we depend on for help and protection?

Things happen.
8Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. (1 Peter 5:8. ESV.)
We are to trust in God and be wise! God’s word is chock full of verses regarding wisdom. Now, before I go any further, I want to be clear…I am not a doctor and, though I am finishing up my bachelor’s degree and have a goal of attending law school, I am not yet an attorney, etc. I am simply, me. But, ladies, I do want to encourage you!

God’s power does not work apart from the personal faith of those being guarded, but through their faith (1 Peter 7, 9, 21; 5:9; 2 Peter 1:1, 5; and commonly in the New Testament). (Grudem, Wayne. Systematic Theology: An Introduction to Biblical Doctrine. 1994. Pg 792.)
Here, I believe he is speaking about our salvation but the key point I wish to show you is, “God’s power does not work apart from the personal faith of those being guarded but through their faith.”
make every effort to supplement your faith with virtue, and virtue with knowledge, (2 Peter 1:5. ESV.)
Someone once told me, “We are called to be faithful and God takes care of all the rest.” I believe that to be true! He provides…and, to me, that takes a multitude of shapes. How does God supply what we need when we need it? I have seen His provisions through Him bringing people into my life at the perfect time to bring about His will. Let me point to the bible instead of my own life…Saul meant to kill David. And how did David find out about this? His friend, the son of Saul, told him. Did David hang out and say, “I can just sit here and chill.” No! He fled and hid. And, at the right time, God delivered Saul straight into David’s hands, MORE THAN ONCE! (1 Samuel).

How did David know Saul’s intention was dangerous? Someone, Jonathan, told him! Likewise, I feel it is our responsibility to be like Jonathan and alert others to danger. I understand, it is so much easier to “mind our own business” and not get involved. It is not unreasonable to think someone else will step up to assist. But, chances are, they are thinking the same thing about you. I get it, it is hard to think the worst about another person and force yourself to consider how he/she might be so disturbed, desperate, or perhaps just plain evil to harm or kill others. Pay attention! Take note of “red flags” you might notice. Stay safe. Be wise! Report suspicious, concerning, or alarming behavior or deeds. It could save the lives of others.

11 so that we would not be outwitted by Satan; for we are not ignorant of his designs. (2 Corinthians 2:11. ESV.)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails