Sunday, November 08, 2015

Irrational Hope

Isn’t it funny how irrational hope can be? (http://www.averagemeetsamazing.com/blog/i-made-breakfast)

The above quote came from a blog post I read over at the “Average Meets Amazing” blog. Writer, Debra, posed the question in reflection of a trial she is walking through. This particular sentence stopped me in my tracks. “Isn’t it funny how irrational hope can be?” You said it, sister!

I cannot help but think of my own trial…one I have been battling for many years. I once asked an acquaintance of mine, regarding my situation, “I feel like I am standing in a dense mist. How am I supposed to see through the fog?”

“You rise above it,” she answered.

It has taken me nine years since then, and her morsel of advice, but I am now “rising above it”. And the best part is, God has placed some pretty awesome ladies in my life who rotate around in a God orchestrated dance of mercy and grace and help keep me sane. Each of them has her own AMAZING story of God’s indescribable work in her own life. And, they individually encourage and bless me beyond words. Almost every day, it seems, I hear from or think of them. They touch my life in person, through text, or even social networks. They give me love and God’s word when I am tired and/or feel discouraged or defeated. Further, every single time I pray for assistance, God sends one of them to my side.

Last week, as I was researching something for one of my university classes, I stumbled upon a documentary about the 2004 Tsunami. It was mainly video footage and stories from survivors of the events of that day, those leading up to it, and the aftermath that followed suit as they picked up the pieces of their broken lives. One man, Stu Breisch, spoke of the loss of two of his children in the tsunami and the hope he held as he looked for them each day afterward. He persevered even though the reality of his situation convinced him his children were dead. Hope carried him onward and he eventually found both of his kids (https://youtu.be/E8evwWIigFQ).

The haunting telling of this horrific event stopped me cold with another quote, like Debra’s above, that also went straight to my heart. It was by Tsunami survivor, Christmas Day 2004, Amanda Robins who said,
“What am I going to do in my life that’s going to make up for their life as well because I made it and they didn’t.” (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ0tmHxXey8)

When we are faced with trials, what seem like impossible odds, and heartbreaking challenges, I feel there are moments of numbing stillness, disbelief, anger, hatred, sadness, confusion, failure, etc. all mixed with “irrational” hope. There is faith, the “body of Christ”, iron sharpening iron (Proverbs 27:17), and, above all, God’s will.

1 I will extol you, O LORD, for you have drawn me up
and have not let my foes rejoice over me.
2 O LORD my God, I cried to you for help,
and you have healed me.
3 O LORD, you have brought up my soul from Sheol;
you restored me to life from among those who go down to the pit.

4 Sing praises to the LORD, O you his saints,
and give thanks to his holy name.
5 For his anger is but for a moment,
and his favor is for a lifetime.
Weeping may tarry for the night,
but joy comes with the morning.
(Psalm 30:1-5. ESV.)

(Photo Information: Bing Public Domain)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails