Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Steadfast Under Trial

12 Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him. 13 Let no one say when he is tempted, “I am being tempted by God,” for God cannot be tempted with evil, and he himself tempts no one. 14 But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire. 15 Then desire when it has conceived gives birth to sin, and sin when it is fully grown brings forth death. (James 1:12-15. ESV.)

“It’s not enough!”

Do you ever find yourself thinking that?

I do not believe I ever do enough. There is always more I can, and should, do. I had a law student relate that to me about how she feels doing law research.

“You will never feel ‘finished’,” she said.

I assume that pertains to most of us about some areas of life. Which raises the question, “How much is enough?” Do I hug my children bountifully? Do I tell people, “I love you!” abundantly? Do I look after widows and orphans sufficiently? Am I in God’s word and communing with Him adequately? Do I give to others generously?

The above scripture was yesterday’s bible study with my kiddos. Admittedly, James 1:15 has been one of my favorites since the first moment I read it, years ago. “Desire when it has conceived gives birth to sin, and sin when it is fully grown brings forth death.” What a heavy passage! My earthly body almost buckles under the weight of it. How many times have I entertained thoughts of desire?! Too many…which easily could have grown into sin…and the wages of sin is death (Romans 6:23)! I must re-enforce taking every thought captive (2 Corinthians 10:5).
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails