Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Painters Paint and Writers Write

Have you ever known an artist? I know a few. One I've known since childhood and there is not a moment I can recall when she did not have a sketchbook in her hands. She was always drawing, when she was not in ballet class, etc. As I sit and watch a television show, there is an artist represented by one of the characters. She is often shown painting. Painters paint and writers write. I suppose you could say I feel compelled to write. It is one thing I have done all my life.

But, will my writing ever amount to anything? What purpose does it serve, if any? Perhaps it is simply because I cannot help myself. I remember attempting to write fiction manuscripts when I was a child. They always seemed to be mysteries...horror type thrillers, I dare say...though on an elementary or middle school level. Generally, I read and write non-fiction these days however do wander back to fiction, and poetry, from time to time.

I wish I could draw stunning pictures or be an actor and bring characters to life. But, I am a writer, and a ballerina. I can perform for you the dance of the Sugarplum Fairy or choreograph a piece for you and write you a descriptive narrative or some poetry. Speaking of poetry, I am reminded of the conversation between Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth which goes like this,
“I have been used to consider poetry as "the food of love" said Darcy.

"Of a fine, stout, healthy love it may. Everything nourishes what is
strong already. But if it be only a slight, thin sort of inclination, I
am convinced that one good sonnet will starve it entirely away.”
(Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice)

If only I could write beautiful romance novels like Jane Austen. But what about God’s word? Is that not the most breathtaking piece about love there is in this world? Someone once mentioned, “God chose to give us His word in writing.” Not by listening or any other form, but reading. From this perspective, I am honored to possess the desire for writing. Further, I am thankful for the hunger and yearning to compose testimony about God’s word, as I experience it in my life.

“But now you must put them all away: anger, wrath, malice, slander, and obscene talk from your mouth. Do not lie to one another, seeing that you have put off the old self with its practices and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge after the image of its creator.”‬ (Colossians‬ ‭3:8-10‬ ‭ESV.)

Colossians 3:8-10 was the memory verse for the bible study with my kiddos, yesterday. In their book, however, it is phrased like this,
But now is the time to get…clothed…with a brand-new nature that is continually being renewed as you learn more and more about Christ, who created this new nature within you.

As I learn more about Christ and His love and God in His entirety, I find myself drawn to share it. Not in a lecture sort of way but rather more like exciting news I cannot keep to myself. My writing has morphed a lot over the past years. I am certain one can see it going back to the beginning of this blog in 2006 and looking over some of the posts. I enjoy it so much and pray there will never come a day when the creativity dries up and I am unable to jot down a single sentence.

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails