Monday, January 25, 2016

Struggles, the Spoon Theory, and the Lord Who Fights For You

I believe most, if not all, of us struggle with something. Perhaps it is chronic illness or the poor health of a loved one. Maybe it is a drug or alcohol addiction or one of a spouse, parent, family member, friend, etc. It could be financial hardship, being bullied, being abused, a poor life choice, living in a dangerous situation, terrorism, etc. I call my strife, “the thorn in my flesh” (2 Corinthians 12:7-9). It is terribly painful and at times darn near unbearable. Like the scripture says,
8 …I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me. 9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.”
This morning I read an article that stated, “[The thorn in your flesh] is simply helping you to press deeper into God.” THAT, I believe to be true! It definitely makes my relationship with God all the stronger!

All, or most of us, have fears regarding our struggle. And when I am brave enough to share my uneasiness with others sometimes I am told, by those who mean well, I am being unbiblical or a bad Christian because God’s word tells us not to “fear” or be “anxious” (Isaiah 41:10, Psalm 56:3, Philippians 4:6-7, John 14:27, 2 Timothy 1:7, 1 John 4:18, Psalm 94:19, Isaiah 43:1, Proverbs 12:25, Psalm 23:4, Joshua 1:9, Matthew 6:34, 1 Peter 5:6-7, Isaiah 35:4, Luke 12:22-26, Psalm 27:1, Psalm 55:2, Mark 6:50, Deuteronomy 31:6, Isaiah 41:13-14, Psalm 46:1, Psalm 118:6-7, Proverbs 29:25, Mark 4:39-40, Psalm 34:7, 1 Peter 3:14, Psalm 34:4, Deuteronomy 3:22, Revelation 1:17, Mark 5:36, Romans 8:38-39, Zephaniah 3:17, Psalm 91:1-16). That it does. And, I know that. Further, I thank you for giving me God’s word and I love you. In sharing my uneasiness I am looking for compassion and love from a sister-in-Christ. Someone to come along side me to help me on the worst days.

Thankfully, God provides. He has given me a couple ladies who have walked a similar path and know how it feels and can empathize. For them, I am truly grateful because they help keep me sane. Admittedly, however, there are many times I do not take advantage of this the Lord has given me because sometimes it is just easier to pretend everything is okay rather than attempt to explain why it is not. Although, I do like the “spoon” theory explanation. It is living with limitations beyond what is the “average”. It is “paying the price” for doing things that countless, healthy others can do, freely, without physical, emotional, etc. cost.

I do put my trust in the Lord and ask, some days beg, for relief. I know, and I can tell you, His timing is perfect. I preach to myself, and to you, do not give up hope! Do not lose heart!
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails