Friday, February 12, 2016

Throwback Thursday: Why Did You Doubt?

As I sat reading a bedtime story to my children tonight, about Jesus walking on the sea, it suddenly occurred to me that earlier today I had fallen into the same doubt as that of Peter in Matthew 14:22-33.

22 Immediately he made the disciples get into the boat and go before him to the other side, while he dismissed the crowds. 23 And after he had dismissed the crowds, he went up on the mountain by himself to pray. When evening came, he was there alone, 24 but the boat by this time was a long way from the land, beaten by the waves, for the wind was against them. 25 And in the fourth watch of the night he came to them, walking on the sea. 26 But when the disciples saw him walking on the sea, they were terrified, and said, “It is a ghost!” and they cried out in fear. 27 But immediately Jesus spoke to them, saying, “Take heart; it is I. Do not be afraid.”

28 And Peter answered him, “Lord, if it is you, command me to come to you on the water.” 29 He said, “Come.” So Peter got out of the boat and walked on the water and came to Jesus. 30 But when he saw the wind, he was afraid, and beginning to sink he cried out, “Lord, save me.” 31 Jesus immediately reached out his hand and took hold of him, saying to him, “O you of little faith, why did you doubt?” 32 And when they got into the boat, the wind ceased. 33 And those in the boat worshiped him, saying, “Truly you are the Son of God.”
(ESV.)

Many times I have read this story over the years and each time judged Peter for not trusting in Christ, but now here I am a hypocrite! I have failed to trust in Christ, too. I can recall numerous times when I have reached out, cried, and said, “Please help me. Save me, Lord!” All the while Christ was standing right there looking at me as if I had gone mad, probably thinking to himself, “What little faith you have!”

I stand before people and claim to have given all to Christ, but have I really? When a little incident is able to shake me to the core, is that really having complete faith in the Lord and in my Father? How am I supposed to set a good example for others when I stumble so easily?

Psalms 46:10 (NKJV) tells us,
Be still, and know that I am God…
How often does that seem easier said than done, yet that is what we are called to do? Has there been doubt in your mind this week, perhaps when faced by tribulation? Do you generally stand firm in Christ or lose your footing in the face of what seems to be defeat and/or disappointment? Are you in the word everyday? That is where we need to be when we are shaken so Jesus does not look to us and say, “Why did you doubt?”

1 Timothy 6:12 says,
12 Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called and about which you made the good confession in the presence of many witnesses.

Will you be able to say as the apostle Paul did,
7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. (2 Timothy 4:7 NKJV.)?

(Photo information: Bing Images)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails