Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Whatever was Written in Former Days was Written for Our Instruction

My mind is screaming at me that I should be doing my school work, right now. I have a lot of reading to finish before my next quiz or test. But for the past few weeks the Holy Spirit has been whispering that I need to spend more time with God. Which is very true, of course. I, undoubtedly, do bible study with my kiddos every morning before they go off to school --- which we have been doing since they were very young and I was homeschooling them. Always bible study first. I want them to be accustomed to putting on the whole armor of God first thing each day! --- but MY time with God has been wanting. I have been filling my days with school work, reading, studying, books, discussing books with others, etc. that I have been neglecting the time, with God, I need to stay focused on Him. Yes, I pray, every day! But, I still need to keep the main thing, the main thing…you know?

This semester I am studying sociology, again, and the diversity of marriage and families in America. About a month ago I came across the following quote,
Marriage is about knowing God, worshiping God, depending on God, displaying god, being made like God. (Segal, Marshall. “Five Pieces of Outdated Dating Advice”. 16 January 2016. Desiring God Ministries. http://www.desiringgod.org/articles/five-pieces-of-out-dated-dating-advice.
And, I really need to remind myself of that regularly! It is so easy for me to get all wrapped up and tangled in the day to day marriage stuff that I forget to step back, be still, take a deep breath, and look at the bigger picture.

My diversity of marriage and families in America class has been very inspiring and helpful in some ways. It has hammered home pieces of scripture for me and has assisted me in understanding why…just “why”. As a parent, one of my favorite responses to my children is, “Because I said so!” God’s word is, most definitely, complete and sufficient on its own! Without doubt! Yet, there are times when God shows me things in the most unlikely of places. I took this class to benefit me when I work with children in dependency court, who have been removed from their family of no fault of their own. Or perhaps protective services is involved and trying to keep the child safe though the young one may not have been removed. These are the families I will be working with in a few years, again, and I want to be well educated when the time comes.

What I did not expect was to have God point out, “This is why.” I’m not saying my class goes hand and hand with God’s word…it is a secular course. However, the important stuff rises to the top. It actually makes certain things in God’s word clearer for me. And now I can focus on those with my children so hopefully they will discern situations better and wait on God instead of try to manage and sort everything out themselves. I hope that makes sense without going into too much detail.

4 For whatever was written in former days was written for our instruction, that through endurance and through the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. (Romans 15:4. ESV.)

(Photo info.)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails