Friday, February 26, 2016

When Disappointment Stings Your Heart

Do you ever struggle with disappointment or a feeling of not wanting to do something or waking up in a bad mood? How is it one can wake in a foul mood when he/she has been resting and dreaming the past hours? I don’t know, but I manage to do it. Anyway. And what causes disappointment, exactly? Is it my expectation I have placed on something? If so, that would not really be fair to the person, place, or thing on which I have placed my assumptions…right?

14 Since then we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus, the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. 15 For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin. 16 Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need. (Hebrews 4:14-16. ESV.)

I always have to remind myself of two things, #1 Jesus understands my struggles, He came here in the flesh and experienced it for Himself…temptation, sadness, pain…all of it. #2 There is nothing happening now that has not taken place before. As God’s word says,
9 What has been is what will be, and what has been done is what will be done, and there is nothing new under the sun. 10 Is there a thing of which it is said, “See, this is new”? It has been already in the ages before us. 11 There is no remembrance of former things, nor will there be any remembrance of later things yet to be among those who come after. (Ecclesiastes 1:9-11. ESV.)

God knows my heart. He knows everyone’s heart. There are many times I wish I could see a person’s “heart”. Especially, to be sure whether or not someone is lying to me. Have you ever experienced that? To have a person looking you in the eye and pleading with you that they are telling you the truth only to find out later it was all a lie? It’s frustrating, huh?

But, Jesus went through this stuff, Himself. He had someone He loved dearly betray Him…though it was no surprise to Him, with Jesus being able to see hearts and all. He knew what Judas was up to…choosing money over their relationship. Jesus felt disappointment, I believe. How many times did he express it to his disciples? One example springs to mind when Jesus is praying and tells His disciples to pray and finds them sleeping instead.
37 And taking with him Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, he began to be sorrowful and troubled. 38 Then he said to them, “My soul is very sorrowful, even to death; remain here, and watch with me.”39 And going a little farther he fell on his face and prayed, saying, “My Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as you will.” 40 And he came to the disciples and found them sleeping. And he said to Peter, “So, could you not watch with me one hour? 41 Watch and pray that you may not enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.” 42 Again, for the second time, he went away and prayed, “My Father, if this cannot pass unless I drink it, your will be done.” 43 And again he came and found them sleeping, for their eyes were heavy. 44 So, leaving them again, he went away and prayed for the third time, saying the same words again. 45 Then he came to the disciples and said to them, “Sleep and take your rest later on. See, the hour is at hand, and the Son of Man is betrayed into the hands of sinners. 46 Rise, let us be going; see, my betrayer is at hand.” (Matthew 26:37-46. ESV.)
Maybe He is disappointed here? And He certainly felt sorrow, not only here but also when His friend Lazarus died.

Anyway, I should not feel bothered. But, when and if I do, I am in excellent company. Thank you, Lord.

11 But let all who take refuge in you rejoice; let them ever sing for joy, and spread your protection over them, that those who love your name may exult in you. 12 For you bless the righteous, O Lord; you cover him with favor as with a shield. (Psalm 5:11-12. ESV.)

(Photo information: public domain.)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails