Friday, May 13, 2016

My Ways are Higher Than Your Ways and My Thoughts Than Your Thoughts

It is day 134 of this year and today I am reminded that “those who have suffered in prison for their faith” rarely get to partake in communion while there (Voice of the Martyrs. Extreme Devotion. 2001. Thomas Nelson: Nashville, Tennessee. Pg. 134.)
19 And he took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to them, saying, "This is my body, which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of me." 20 And likewise the cup after they had eaten, saying, "This cup that is poured out for you is the new covenant in my blood. (Luke 22:19-20. ESV.)

When I feel I am trying really hard, but some days believe I am failing miserably, I need to remind myself of those who are in agony. I know Jesus said taking up the cross and following Him is difficult but man, somedays I feel I get absolutely pummeled. Looking to those who are in terrible prisons so far from home, without being able to take communion and read their bible, focuses my thoughts on them and others abroad. Do I desire to downplay the tribulation, heartache, persecution, etc. that is experienced in my own nation? No, of course not. I know there are many who suffer for their faith, here, as well. Most stories, domestic and foreign, just are not told…the people involved labor in silence.

Enoch stepped straight from this world into heaven. The bible states,
Enoch walked with God, and he was not, for God took him. Genesis‬ ‭5:24‬ ‭ESV‬.
I cannot help but wonder how insanely uncomfortable Enoch must have been in this world governed by the prince of the power of the air (Eph 2:2).

Whatever we are going through, we can have complete faith, God is with us! There are times, admittedly, I question various things. Mainly, I wonder why God places us in certain situations, I suppose. Today’s reading in the Voice of the Martyrs Extreme Devotion touches on the experience of two men who were flying over Cuba “dropping thousands of leaflets that communicated the gospel of Christ” when they were caught up in a thunderstorm and had to make an emergency landing (2001. Thomas Nelson: Nashville, Tennessee. Pg. 134.) Immediately, I wonder why God allowed that to happen. Those men were doing as He calls us to do and had no control over the weather.

There are times in my own life, and in the lives of those around me, when something happens that is out of the hands of man and is solely in God’s. I tell myself it is to draw us closer to Him. But admittedly, I still get frustrated. God please forgive me.

8 For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways, declares the LORD.
9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts.
10 "For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven
and do not return there but water the earth,
making it bring forth and sprout,
giving seed to the sower and bread to the eater,
11 so shall my word be that goes out from my mouth;
it shall not return to me empty,
but it shall accomplish that which I purpose,
and shall succeed in the thing for which I sent it.
(Isaiah 55:8-11. ESV.)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails