Friday, May 27, 2016

Where Jealousy and Selfish Ambition Exist, There Will be Disorder and Every Vile Practice

My head feels so clouded. Currently, I am working on a relatively big project that I would like to get finished as soon as possible. So, my posts on the blog as of late have not been overly fabulous. This work needs to be completed by the end of summer, along with a certificate program, to make way for big changes in my schedule and little time for working on extra ventures when fall semester begins again.

10 From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brothers, these things ought not to be so. 11 Does a spring pour forth from the same opening both fresh and salt water? 12 Can a fig tree, my brothers, bear olives, or a grapevine produce figs? Neither can a salt pond yield fresh water.

13 Who is wise and understanding among you? By his good conduct let him show his works in the meekness of wisdom. 14 But if you have bitter jealousy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast and be false to the truth. 15 This is not the wisdom that comes down from above, but is earthly, unspiritual, demonic. 16 For where jealousy and selfish ambition exist, there will be disorder and every vile practice.
(James 3:10-16. ESV.)

The scripture above is from today’s bible study with my children. It is a great reminder to me to never do anything with a “selfish ambition”. Each thing I set out to do has consequences and therefore I take it seriously when I feel lead to add or delete something in the schedule. Often, the time I usually spend and enjoy having with my children is the price I have to pay for other things: my bachelor’s degree, a paralegal certificate, etc. I keep telling myself at least I am currently doing all of this from home but there, unfortunately, will come a day when working as a paralegal, and later a lawyer, means I have to go to an office and do lots of research. I have been trying to extend my time with them at home as long as possible but I see change coming and my heart is unsettled.

My greatest hope is God will step in, as He does many times in His word, and shower us with the beauty only He can provide. When the Philistines were causing a ruckus, God gave David the courage and might to bring down the giant Goliath with just a slingshot and a rock (1 Samuel 17). Boom! God intervened and stopped the problem. After Herod caused quite a bit of trouble for God’s people and did not give God the glory, an angel of the Lord struck him down and he was “eaten by worms and breathed his last” (Acts 12:20-25. ESV.) When the Israelites were oppressed by Pharaoh and cried out for help (Exodus 2:23-25), God sent Moses and Aaron to deliver the Israelites from Pharaoh. Further, He covered Egypt with ten plagues, lead as a pillar of smoke by day and one of fire by night, and split the Red Sea for Moses and His people to cross. God interceded in a big way. He took care of His people. I faithfully believe He does the same for us, today.

6 Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, 7 casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you. (1 Peter 5:6-7. ESV.)

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails