Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Who is it That Overcomes the World?

1 Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ has been born of God, and everyone who loves the Father loves whoever has been born of him. 2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and obey his commandments. 3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments. And his commandments are not burdensome. 4 For everyone who has been born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world—our faith. 5 Who is it that overcomes the world except the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of God? (1 John 5:1-5. ESV.)

I desire everything in my life to be godly. All of it, from being a good steward with the money God provides us, to seeking out passions and pursuits that glorify Him. From being a Proverbs 31 wife to having godly relationships. From obeying His commandments (1 John 5:3) to going out and making disciples of men (Matthew 28:16-20).

Over at the Desiring God website, Jon Bloom posted a great article about Judas and his appearance of being a believer though in his heart, he was not:
Judas’s masquerade is a lesson for us. Wolves can look and sound almost exactly like sheep. And sometimes Jesus, for his own reasons, allows the disguised wolves to live among the sheep for a long time and do great damage before their deception is exposed. When this happens, we must trust that the Lord knows what he’s doing. Judas reminds us that even ravaging wolves have a part to play in the drama of redemptive history. (“Why Was Judas Carrying the Moneybag?” 6 June 2014. http://www.desiringgod.org/articles/why-was-judas-carrying-the-moneybag)

This article was good for me because it reminded me of a few things: 1. Jesus knew, and still knows, exactly what He is doing. I must have faith. 2. Only God can see the heart of men. The rest of us are clueless to the true nature of a person. 3. Sometimes the ones I believe to be the closest to me are actually the furthest away. So, I must be wise and discerning.

I believe it is difficult for each of us to accept God might have created some for “bad”. But, we were all created to glorify Him in one way or another.
14 What shall we say then? Is there injustice on God's part? By no means! 15 For he says to Moses, "I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion." 16 So then it depends not on human will or exertion, but on God, who has mercy. 17 For the Scripture says to Pharaoh, "For this very purpose I have raised you up, that I might show my power in you, and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth." 18 So then he has mercy on whomever he wills, and he hardens whomever he wills.

19 You will say to me then, "Why does he still find fault? For who can resist his will?" 20 But who are you, O man, to answer back to God? Will what is molded say to its molder, "Why have you made me like this?" 21 Has the potter no right over the clay, to make out of the same lump one vessel for honorable use and another for dishonorable use? 22 What if God, desiring to show his wrath and to make known his power, has endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction, 23 in order to make known the riches of his glory for vessels of mercy, which he has prepared beforehand for glory—
(Romans 9:14-23. ESV.)

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails