Friday, June 10, 2016

How Inscrutable His Ways!

My summer has been hijacked! Here I thought we were going to get a break from schedules or have a new one for summer! But, no! School programs have taken over and have us out the door by 8:00 am, Monday through Friday. This does not work out well, by the way, for someone with a creative soul that is generally awake at all crazy hours. Hence, the looking forward to a summer itinerary!

I can plan, what I desire, all I want but it is God’s will that stands (Proverbs 19:21). He directs my steps!
I know, O Lord, that the way of man is not in himself,
that it is not in man who walks to direct his steps.
(Jeremiah 10:23. ESV.)
In His hands are my breath and all my ways (Daniel 5:23). So, knowing this, why do I get miffed if my arrangements are thwarted or intercepted by God? Shouldn’t I be overjoyed the all powerful God of the universe has intervened and redirected me according to His will? I ought to feel honored!

I suppose I was hoping for a break. But God knows when and if I really need one. Infact, there have been countless times when I was running myself ragged, or being run ragged, and God knocked me on my butt for a couple days to rest.

And what about the surprises in life? This past Saturday, we attended the graduation of the daughter of some long time friends. Afterward, we had cake and chatted. One of the topics, as funny as this may sound, was deer whistles. You know, the type you place on the front of your car that advertise they will “stop a deer in its tracks” and prevent collisions. Anyway, yesterday, I got a call that one of the individuals involved in that conversation was struck by a deer and is currently in the hospital. I am prayerful his injuries are not life threatening. How crazy is it we were just discussing such a thing mere days ago! We have not been able to visit him, yet, especially since now he is in ICU.

Life is so topsy-turvy! It is like a tornado that changes direction at a moment’s notice and can leave all kinds of destruction in its wake! One day you are talking to someone and the next an act of God lands him in the hospital.

4 Does not he see my ways
and number all my steps?
(Job 31:4. ESV.)
The Lord is watching. He sees everything done by both the evil and the good (Proverbs 15:3). Nothing gets past Him. So, why do I feel so conflicted at times? Where is God in the chaos?

I strolled over to Desiring God and did a search on “God in the chaos”. An article by Jonathan Parnell entitled “Ten Thousand Things We Can’t See” caught my attention. Parnell writes,
In this moment of disarray, when everything is turned upside down, when everything we expected is dismantled, the psalmist stops and remembers. He remembers that even when the circumstances don’t add up, God is always at work. God is always doing 10,000 things we can’t see. Always. (Desiring God Website. March 20, 2014. http://www.desiringgod.org/articles/ten-thousand-things-we-can-t-see.)

But what is this about God doing 10,000 things? John Piper explains in his article,
Not only may you see a tiny fraction of what God is doing in your life; the part you do see may make no sense to you. (Desiring God Website. “Every Moment in 2013 God Will Be Doing 10,000 Things in Your Life”. January 1, 2013. http://www.desiringgod.org/blog/posts/every-moment-in-2013-god-will-be-doing-10-000-things-in-your-life.)

33 Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways!
34 "For who has known the mind of the Lord,
or who has been his counselor?"
35 "Or who has given a gift to him
that he might be repaid?"
36 For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be glory forever. Amen.
(Romans 11:33-36. ESV.)
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails